Office desk as open baffle subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

Some some weeks ago I converted my home office desk into a subwoofer:

Adding a wall on the backside and on one side converted it to a big open baffle.

In the backwall I mounted a 15" Goodmanns Axiom, actively driven over a DYI crossover and LM3886 Amps in bridged configuration.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

On the desks top I am using two Fostex FE83E, glued with silicon into two ceramic balls (normally used for garden decoration).

Driven by a TA2024 amp.

This is my nearfield setup, to listen harddisk stored sound, via a CS4398 DAC with output transformers.

It's sound is great: having enough bass (down to 30Hz) equalizes the highs and opens the mids.

And, with normal sound levels, absolutely no problems for the neighbours, at least in my flat.

Body sound included, when in contact with the desk!

Have fun!
Franz

Does your laptop "walk" around, when you turn it up??

Just to set the relations: this is not a laptop, it is a normal keyboard and a 22" screen :D

This open baffle is quite big, but you are not aware of it, when you enter the room! An elegant way to camouflage the open baffle...

High WAF guaranteed!!!

In the first weeks, I used a 8" driver. But I really prefer the big one, mounted since yesterday.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Franz

GM

Joined 2003
Dang! I have a huge corner 'L' shaped work table stored out in the garage that I'd planned to do the same thing with except load a stereo pair of 12" Avatar/Adire Shiva sub drivers to it as I've had about all I can tolerate from this little CREATIVE brand 2.1 boom-box computer system. So much for my Winter Surprise system posting. :(

After seeing yours, I may have to move up the timetable. Oh well, great minds think alike, right? :D

Like the little 'FR' driver balls too, though I haven't made up my mind which of the various old RadioShack (RS) drivers I'll use. The 40-1197 would be the closest, but I'm thinking the 4" x 10" oval 40-1297 on their own OBs turned vertically to minimize vertical dispersion/maximize the horizontal might be the 'Hot Ticket'.

Time will tell. ;) Thanks for sharing! Now that the 'cat's out of the bag', maybe others will give it a try.

GM

Sorry, GM

I did not want to disturb your next winters surprise project!

The idea was born in a german audio forum, when I asked for a subwoofer project for my desk.

My first intention was some flat box who will find its place behind the flatscreen.

Why do you want to use a stereo setup for the woofer? I see only problems, using more than one sub source. Please be aware, that ALL stereo recordings are in mono for the bass region.

Now, I am playing with the idea, to replace the fullrange speakers by ESL panels...

Franz

P.S.
For german speaking readers: This is the thread where the idea is born:

http://www.rahaso.de/foren/msg.php?f=audiotreff_selbstbau&idx=50238&

and here it is documented how "loudpipes" and PeterG developped the idea, triggered by the threads title "looking for ideas for an office desk subwoofer":

http://www.rahaso.de/foren/msg.php?f=audiotreff_selbstbau&idx=50244&

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Thanks for the thought, but my 'lament' was only made in jest and not to be taken seriously. :D

Yes, I'm aware that virtually all recordings are mono below 120-150 Hz depending on the format and/or the whim of the recording engineer. I meant 'stereo' only to denote that each sub driver would be fed by the same stereo amp as the mains even though they will be centered at the 'sweet spot', though not centered on the OB.

ESL panels would be really nice to have, but well beyond my proposed project's budget. :(

GM

Yes, I'm well aware this is a near-field situation and that room modes will still dominate down low.

Exactly, my limited english does not allow to express it like you did :D

Financial, as in 'if I don't already have it lying around' it's not in the budget.

Just keep ESL in your mind and one day, you have all (or most) you need lying around.

I am sure about it!

Franz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.