What's the best enclosure for this driver? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2009, 05:10 AM   #11
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcavictim

Why are the rest of you here who really do know better leading Allen on?

It is absolutely impossible to move enough air to be heard at 20 Hz with such a small driver.
I have a better question, why are you erroneously slandering me? I didn't offer to design a true 'sub' design or lead him on in any way that what I presented would be capable of 'sub' BW output at any usable amplitude.

This driver's specs is more than capable of true <20 Hz sub duty at audible levels in a typical HIFI/HT app, it just has to be in a medium small room size horn, so hardly 'impossible', just a poor choice for the app.

GM
Old 28th June 2009, 08:25 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM

I have a better question, why are you erroneously slandering me? I didn't offer to design a true 'sub' design or lead him on in any way that what I presented would be capable of 'sub' BW output at any usable amplitude.

GM

GM, with my words "the rest of you here", I actually wasn't pointing at you so much as the group of lurkers here who have read this post and know I am right but have not chimed in and said anything along the lines of the point I was trying to make. They are guilty by their silence. I know that you are one of the advanced contributors here with lots of hands on with some large speakers and I enjoy reading your contributions.
Old 28th June 2009, 10:57 AM   #13
AllenB is online now AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

rcavictim, I can see where you're coming from. I even think it's the reason I want to build my own. I like the way it used to sound all the way up to and including the eighties but only the good eighties stuff, not the cheap stuff.

What I'm looking for is a woofer, I know that much and I appreciate that others here have answered my question AND I appreciate that you have set me straight.

GM, I tried your design and it has more sensitivity and more extension, nice. Would you expect the crossover to take down the bump at 70Hz or isn't this going to be noticeable and could I cross it over on 100Hz if I chose to? I think this level and f3 would be good enough for what I want.
Old 28th June 2009, 02:53 PM   #14
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Right, bigger box = more acoustic gain.

No personal experience yet, but if you browse the TH threads you can find a number of measured THs that show a much more muted response than simmed and damping the throat area will smooth it out even more, just like with a TL, so combined with the XO it shouldn't be a problem. Regardless, in a typical ~8 ft high room there's a null in the 70-80 Hz BW, so some peaking here can be advantageous.

GM
Old 28th June 2009, 06:26 PM   #15
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Small Drivers _ Impulse Response

Hi AllenB,

I don't really have time to chime in on the discussion, but I have to exercise my computer to try to find out if my new backup software (NTI Shadow, it came for free with a Toshiba USB harddrive) will actually at least kind of work on a Windows XP computer.

1. As to small drivers in subwoofers: there are quite a number of tapped horn examples for the TangBand W6-1139 6.5". When used in multiples, small drivers can be used successfully as subwoofers within the range you indicate, particularly in the home. The ones that come to mind without searching are in the Collaborative Tapped Horn thread, by Volvotreter, just_a_guy and littlemike. Also, something build around the general ideas of the TH-SPUD (8"dual drivers) can provide more than sufficient output for at least my home environment. I recommend geitmans thread (hopefully it has not been completely trashed up, yet :-) ):

Dual 8" tapped horn = TH-SPUD

2. Keep an eye on the impulse response, using the impulse response tool in hornresp can give you a good idea as a starting point. After that, somebody will have to measure something someday.

3. I'll attach a hornresp simulation for a dual using the Scanspeak 18W8545K, including the impulse response. I won't have a lot of time to participate at the moment, but this might give you some ideas. :-)

Now, back to Windows Explorer to see what happened in the shadows.

Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scanspeak_18w8545k_dual_small.jpg (49.6 KB, 149 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!