designing a sub and fullrange box for several speakers... - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2009, 04:34 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

That should work fine and is the beauty way to go. This is a 5.1 receiver you are talkin' about correct? You will have to just use what ever source is feeding the crossover and not use the tuner in the receiver if it is. Mounting two different drivers Isobarik may not be a good idea as they are attempting to become one more powerful speaker and move together. One may damage the other if it has more or less xmax. Let us know how this works out as it may not have been done before.
Old 30th June 2009, 04:34 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 901Fixer
There is absolutely nothin' wrong with using a 12V car crossover like an Alphasonic EX-3B. Much better than trying to passively cross anything below ~200hz. Hold you head high and be proud of your ingenious use of parts not exactly intended to be used in a new creative way.
Thanks for the complament !
I was laughed off a site once for such a "creative" idea .
It was a hometheatre custom install site , when someone asked "how can they help the overheating stereo equipment problems"
I mentioned just use a few computer grade boxer fans in your cabinet (they sell a $200 kit thats just that) !
I was the joke of the month there !
Old 30th June 2009, 04:35 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
no i am talking about crossing over the input to my 5.1 amp and then using 4 of the 5 fullrange outputs that would then be crossed over to sub freq's to drive one of each of my subs...
Sorry mate but I just don't follow you there; it is easy to split the Sub output, you can run 4-6 line outs easily and use stereo or mono amps for each subby, but I don't see how you can use a single line in to drive all 4 subs with a cheap 5.1 receiver.
Better take a picture of the back of each unit or a link to the user manual.

If it has line-in/line out RCAs then there is no problem but amps are cheap on Craigs list, even on a budget power isn't usually a problem
Old 30th June 2009, 04:37 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

okay let me explain this a little more indepth i would like to use the 5.1 amplifier to drive 4 subs. i would have the input crossed over to about 100 Hz and i would use 4 of th 5.1 speaker outputs not the rca's to directly driver the subs. i dont have 4 extra amplifiers to use one for each driver.
EDIT
my budget comes to a total of about $6 canadian
Old 30th June 2009, 04:39 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondog55

Sorry mate but I just don't follow you there; it is easy to split the Sub output, you can run 4-6 line outs easily and use stereo or mono amps for each subby, but I don't see how you can use a single line in to drive all 4 subs with a cheap 5.1 receiver.

If it has line-in/line out RCAs then there is no problem but amps are cheap on Craigs list, even on a budget power isn't usually a problem
Yes those cheap "y connectors" are fine I run 2 of them on my 5.1 receiver .
What I did is ...
Out of the MAIN preamp outputs for the front speakers, I split that out put to drive 4 seperate subs .
Old 30th June 2009, 04:40 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

i dont want pre-amp outs i just want to use the amplifier to directly drive 4 subs by crossing over the input so it essentially becomes a 5 output sub amplifier.
Old 30th June 2009, 04:42 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondog55

What budget priced amps are of high enough quality you would recommend considering? I love Craigslist and eBay but don't always recognize a deal when I see one.
Old 30th June 2009, 04:43 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mulletdude
okay let me explain this a little more indepth i would like to use the 5.1 amplifier to drive 4 subs. i would have the input crossed over to about 100 Hz and i would use 4 of th 5.1 speaker outputs not the rca's to directly driver the subs. i dont have 4 extra amplifiers to use one for each driver.
EDIT
my budget comes to a total of about $6 canadian

BOTTOM LINE ...
You need about twice the amplifier output for subs as you have to drive the other speakers .
The internall amp probebly wont drive that .
That is why store bought subs have their own amp on them .
Old 30th June 2009, 04:46 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

i do have about 8 MOSFETS from an old stereo i took apart ... the amplifier is still in one... or rather 2 pieces because there was one amp per channel but i dont know the wiring to make them work so i would have to build my own amplifier. or i do have a car audio amplifier thats 500 watts bridged mono into 4 ohms but i have no way of getting enough amperage at 12 volts to drive it very long
Old 30th June 2009, 04:50 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 901Fixer

What budget priced amps are of high enough quality you would recommend considering? I love Craigslist and eBay but don't always recognize a deal when I see one.

the lowest price amps you can find on CL or ebay would be a PROSOUND AMP (like what bands use)
What you need to find is enough power to drive the subs , thats based on the speaker and the size of the cabinet .
But be leary as you know some companies lie a lot about what the amp can do , but if its heavy and pulls a lot from the wall it probebly has lots of power .

Hide this!Advertise here!