designing a sub and fullrange box for several speakers... - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2009, 03:17 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

its for a home sub but not HT. i listen to music and thats what i would like it for.
Old 29th June 2009, 03:24 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mulletdude
the amp i currently have is only 100 watts per channel so it would make more sence doing it theyt way i am.
If you turn the sub up and the speakers dont sound like they are bottoming out you may not have enough amp .
It matters how powerfull the amp is , 100 watts per 12 is not really enough (for me) .
I am running a kicker dx350 (350 watt class D) into a kicker L5 its not really enough power (that 12" wants a lot of power)
so I ported the box I get 120 db sub in my truck now .
If it was sealed It would be a lot less .
Even if I ran 2 of these sealed it may not put out the spl as 1 ported 12" ..
But a home amp is differant ,especially a good one ..
Old 29th June 2009, 03:26 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
its for a home sub but not HT. i listen to music and thats what i would like it for.

cool its a home sub , ask the company what port size you need for your big box and try just running one 12" .
Old 29th June 2009, 03:27 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

i know i dont have enough amp for these speakers.. they are car subs and i want to use them in my home cuz somethimes they are better... i have the car amplifier for the subs but i need a way to power it because it needs 12 volts.
Old 29th June 2009, 05:27 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

a lot of car subs are great , I use a pair of mtx 5500's for my iso .
Long throw good power handling , great deal !
I bought them used on Ebay for $30 each (with warrenty)
I was going to use a car amp for home but the high power 117v to 12v costs more than a used ebay amp .
I just got a good deal on a new amp from parts express (sa240)
240 watts at 4 ohms for $109 with free shipping, that may not be enough power for your subs , but they do make bigger stuff .
Old 29th June 2009, 05:49 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Default amp

Quote:
i know i dont have enough amp for these speakers.. they are car subs and i want to use them in my home cuz somethimes they are better... i have the car amplifier for the subs but i need a way to power it because it needs 12 volts.
I read your first post on this , the insignia is 8 ohms each , you could parallel them down to 4 ohms and use the partsexpress sa-240 to run it that is a good amount (120 watts per driver) $109 new .
or you could try the bash 300 (150 watts per 12")
just make sure your box is plenty big .
Old 29th June 2009, 03:03 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

The sensitivity of your drivers is rather low at 88.7db but 100 watts to each driver is plenty in a sealed box and should be very audible. How big is the room? Is it not loud enough to your liking or do others, like your mom, think it should be louder? Make sure any gain is turned up or if the reciever has a control feature for the sub it may be turned way down.

The picture shows 5 sides of the box, you do have a top on this box don't you so it is sealed up? You can also try reversing the wiring on one of the drivers to see if that changes anything. When toubleshooting only change one thing at a time and recheck.
Old 30th June 2009, 01:15 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

well currently i am using this box upside down so that the top in the picture is against my carpet floor. in essence making it a floor coupled sealed box right? now i just got my hands on a pair of JBK 2225H 15 inch subs should i use these instead? if so i will probably have to rebuild my box eh? also the specs are here... http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2225hj.pdf
and the look pretty good except for the 5mm xMax.
Should i have left these alone?
EDIT
901 Fixer the box that i was saying about that wasn't very loud was the wicked one box that i built and this sealed box is plenty loud but i want more SPL from it cuz loud is never loud enough if you know what i mean.
EDIT EDIT
my room is about 22 feet by 11 foot 1 inch with a 2 foot 11 by 6 foot 4 little hallway in the one corner... plus the stairs plus it has a doorway with no door to another room
Old 30th June 2009, 03:37 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

ok so i just got my hands on the drivers and the ones specs are the above link and the others specs are here. http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2226.pdf
there is one of each 2225h and 2226h. i would like to put them isobarik in the box i have above with the 2 12 inch subs isobarik on the other side... would i still have to increase the enclosure size if i did it that way. the 15's are each rated for an enclosure of 3 cubic feet to 10 cubic feet. so i dont know what to do exactly
Old 30th June 2009, 04:43 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ok so i just got my hands on the drivers and the ones specs are the above link and the others specs are here. http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2226.pdf
there is one of each 2225h and 2226h. i would like to put them isobarik in the box i have above with the 2 12 inch subs isobarik on the other side... would i still have to increase the enclosure size if i did it that way. the 15's are each rated for an enclosure of 3 cubic feet to 10 cubic feet. so i dont know what to do exactly
a friend of mine built a radical box for a pair of these , it was a ported isobaric !
He spent a LOT of time tuning it , he built it for home theatre , I will write him for the box and port specs he used .
Also I think he only needed 100 watts per 15" to shake the earth .
Those are very effeciant drivers .
LMK if you want that info !

Hide this!Advertise here!