dual folded horn plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im still in the planning stages for an electrostatic set up, and of course as most of you know these require a seperate woofer due to design restrictions. Now i have space... but i dont know that ill have it in college and afterwards so i wanted to build something relatively small (electrostats can hang on the wall :D ).

I came across this
http://www.decware.com/newsite/wo32.htm

and where the design was given out for free.
I also found a forum post (which i didnt bookmark) of a guy who build a push pull version.

so anyway now to my question.
does anyone know of another set of free plans that already has the dimensions, angles, ect ?

Also has anyone heard one of these horns?
Do they benefit from being in push pull?

seems to me that since the convex side of the cones are moving they would drive less air.

Thnx

he has prolly seen something like this
bpencl.jpg

but i find it hard to believe the guy who designed the enclosure could set out to make a dual folded horn and produce a bandpass box on accident. although horns are desighned to work within a set frequency so technically all horns are band pass :cool:

I just wish somebody would post measurements of this one - it's been around for years but I've never seen any....

If it is a horn then the mouth is far too small to be of any interest. If it's a 4th order BP with a flared port then it may well be of interest........ but I doubt it... :devilr: :D

Rob.

just wish somebody would post measurements of this one - it's been around for years but I've never seen any....

If it is a horn then the mouth is far too small to be of any interest. If it's a 4th order BP with a flared port then it may well be of interest........ but I doubt it...
Thats pretty much what i want is measurements or to find a similar design that has measurements (and thats free and not 600 by 400 inches)

bacon665 said:
ok... and that helps how?
Other then no one even knows what it really is?
If it performs ok and i can find measurements making two of these for stereo will be no problem.

Maybe im being too picky?

The were just some links I had left over from the many times this subject has come up since '96? and while I couldn't remember or had the time ATM to browse them, thought they might be of some and/or spur you on to do a bit more research, but apparently it was a waste of my quality time.

It's around a 40 Hz FLH (AKA 4th order BP since it has sealed rear chambers) when sitting on a solid floor as shown IIRC, so below 80 hz with a twist though due to the two separate horns summing far enough back from the mouth to allow a smaller than normal mouth and still perform half decent, like a TH.

I don't recall ever seeing any measurements nor many folks being particularly impressed by them except the WO36 in the car audio apps it was originally designed for, so not a design I'd bother with for a HIFI/HT app.

Wasn't aware there were ever any free plans for the WO32, but you can model what you have in HornResp to get an idea how it will perform.

GM

i was actually thinking about building a third one for a jeep.
if i port the rear chambers can i get more bass :confused:

and since this is becoming out of the question for pairing with the ESL is there something different you would suggest besides the avergae front loaded woofer?
i remember seeing a site on rear loaded spiral horns that were made out of pvc pipe and got good response. ill try to find the links and post them.

As for the threads you posted i didnt see anyone really complaining or applauding the unit (im guessing its just an average performer)
but i did see the same arguements that ar ein this thread about what they are.

Hmm, I was more tired than I thought when I responded, it's got some key words missing. :(

To put it a bit differently, it's a FLH because it has 'vents' long enough and expand enough to get some horn loading above ~80 Hz, but its ultra fast expansion at its mouth flattens out its response, ergo its relatively modest efficiency and why I assume some folks insist it's only an interesting looking 4th order BP. Really, in essence it's a point source driver adaptation of WE's folded dual compression driver manifold that was an option on their '20s era WE16 folded cinema horn. Couple the WO to a bone fide ~40 Hz horn and you'd need a whole lot more than ESLs to keep up with it.

While I have some experience with traditional 6th order BPs, I've none with short horn variants, but I assume that without changing its 'vents' for the extra output it may make its performance worse overall.

Hmm, you've yet to say what gain BW you want, but ESLs have horn like performance, so either a TL or its tapped variant (TH) or FLH or an OB with high Vas, low Fs/Qts and use as many as required to EQ the bottom end up to ~flat in-room with the latter being the best choice overall IMO if cost wasn't an issue. Another option may be the 8th order Karlson K-15 if you're not interested in a lot of gain down low.

WRT the spiral horns, I assume you mean these. If so, then a driver-in-mouth BLH (aka TH) is a much better choice overall and a whole lot easier to build.

GM

Yes it was a sprial like those. Im having a hard time making out the abbrevations.

Hmm, you've yet to say what gain BW you want
I really dont know... I have a self powered sub woofer so im not too worried about it. I planned on starting the ESL at mid range what ever that may be and stopping them at about 21.3 KH

Couple the WO to a bone fide ~40 Hz horn and you'd need a whole lot more than ESLs to keep up with it.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?

???

OB with high Vas
???

IMO if cost wasn't an issue
It is if i didnt have the tubes and transformers from salvage i wouldnt be building ESLs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.