kicker L7 Rebuildable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i got scammed and got 2 blown kicker L7 is it possible to replace the coils? everything else seems in tact and the speaker moves back and forth and the spider and cone seem to be undammaged.

on the magnet they are stamped 02 so i guess that is the year. i know it will be easy to give a quick anser of just "no not worth while" but i would really like to try and fix them.

The hardest part is getting the soft parts off the motor/basket without wrecking them, the rubber surround can often be seperated from the basket easily enough, but the spider is a lot harder to seperate without damaging it.

Another big issue with the L7's is they don't have a traditional dust cap setup, so even if you manage to get the soft parts out in one piece, source a suitable replacement voice coil (or re-wind a new one if the former is still ok) you have the problem of there being no way to align the coil in the gap properly (no idea how the original manufacturers handle this).

Sorry to be a negative nancy :(

[edit] of course, the subs are already un-usable, and a "proper" repair usually just replaces all the soft parts anyway, so there's no harm in giving it a try...

There is no such thing as official recones for this sub. You might be able to find someone with the parts, but that is extremely unlikely. Even if you did it would probably cost as much as brand new drivers.

If you call kicker up they will let you send them back to them for a small discount on a new pair.

BTW, it doesn't matter the condition of the spider and cone/surround when the voice coil is fried; you have to destroy them all in order to do a recone (99% of the time).

can anyone offer advice or a link on how to properly pull this apart to inspect the coils.

where can i get glue to re glue them back together?

right now i have nothing to loose and everything to gain by puling them apart and looking. i would like to ensure that if i do get them apart that i can atleast have the option of reassembly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.