Tapped Horn For Car

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've done subaru wrx's... which are about as small as your sx4. What I've done in a wrx is to make a new 'spare tire door' that fits over your spare tire that is about 2" tall. (yes the whole rectangle area) That is the 'rear chamber' for your small box 10" sub. Flip your spare tire over, so that the magnet of the sub can hang down into the spare tire area, while firing into the box. To make it fit you will have to 'rear mount' not 'face mount' the sub, meaning the back side flange of the sub will have to be physically 'inside' the box.

Now.. here's where it gets interesting. The rest of the spare tire area kinda works like the front chamber of a bandpass. Making a 'notch' in the box by the rear hatch makes something like a 'port' The rear glass / hatch kinda work like a 'horn' or at least provide some kind of acoustic loading. All of this is 'kinda' and you need to experiment. When done well, it is nothing short of amazing, and totally invisible..

I've a british friend that amazes folks all the time with his wrx that I did for him.

good luck.

hopefully this pic of your spare tire area will help

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the replies. My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. It seems I did not opt for email notification when I subscribed to this thread. Would a tapped horn work well in my car since the seats do not fold down and there isn't a good way to vent the trunk into the cabin space? I just want to make a great sounding system that is unconventional breaks from the norm.

I am really curious about the sub in the tire well jbell. Any chance you could post some images or post link on that type of set up.

I did figure out the front stage though, I will be doing a horizontal line array on the dash with 12 3" drivers and 2 Tweeters. I will install Dayton 7 inch driver in the front doors. It will be challenging to say the least. Still need to figure out how I am going to deal with crossing everything over. Drivers are ordered so the first challenge will be to build it and then work out the details. Worst case if it does not work out in the car I will be have a killer center channel for the HT.

Ok, back on task did not mean to side track the thread.

Phil

I picked up 12 of these Tang Band W3-881SI 3" Speaker and two of these Vifa BC25SC06-04 1" Textile Dome Tweeter. So you do not think I needed the tweeter and can just run them full range? What do you think of the specs on the TB's? I am up for any suggestions.
I have no clue on making a crossover I am far from that level of understanding. I would prefer the most simple and cost effective way to adjust the crossover points before the signal hits the amp. Amp is a ADS PH15.2, it is just a plain amp with gain adjustments. Any thoughts?

PE don't really detail the specs and checking TB site they don't list the driver any more. It is designed as a full range driver, so should perform pretty well in that dept. Have you got the spec sheet from them that you could publish? Freq response graph will show you how high they'll play, the W3-881SJF (which presumabley isn't too different) plays right up to 20Kz pretty flatly-yours seems to be a neo varient of it so should do just as well..

Any higher spec Kenwood stereo has HPF on the front and rear outputs which can be taken up to 220Hz - which should be high enough to suitabley cross these drivers. Otherwise there are plenty of active crossovers available or you could build some passives. Personally I'd go active as you can easily change the freq/slope and it's easier then getting the soldering iron out. There used to be loads of devices like these available and I have seen a link somewhere on here as to how to make your own: ACI Passive High Pass Filters

Good luck, should be a fun project!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.