Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Car Polk Sub?
Car Polk Sub?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2009, 04:12 PM   #1
samsagaz is offline samsagaz  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Default Car Polk Sub?

Hi guys, i dont have money to purchase an subwoofer, but i have an Polk MM2124 Sub that i removed from my Car, is possible to use it for my HT?

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/recent/mm2124/

i want to know what kind of box and amp recommend me for this monster
Old 9th June 2009, 06:45 PM   #2
littlemike is offline littlemike  United States
diyAudio Member

I have had good luck with several "car" subs for home theater.

As far as that particular one, Polk says it works well in sealed or ported enclosures, it also models pretty well in a tapped horn.

Without the actual thiele-small specs - stick with the simpler enclosures - sealed or ported.

A typical plate amp should work fine - it is a 4 ohm driver. Not sure what you'll be able to find locally, but Parts Express has a lot of choices. 500 watts will be more than enough.
Old 9th June 2009, 07:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i used it in my car in sealed, Everyone recommended me Sealed, looks like this time will go sealed too.
Old 12th June 2009, 02:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

i have the Car AMP too, what do you think to connect it with some kind of transformer to get 14V ? will be enough? or think that is better to pruchase an 500W Plate Amp?

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/su...ments=standard

I was using this box in the Car, will be the same for my HT? i will get nice result too?
Old 12th June 2009, 03:20 PM   #5
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Normally, for HT you want useful performance down to at least 20 Hz in-room. For an apartment or similar where neighbors share at least one side of your home and/or the room is very small, then it needs to roll off fairly high, so the little sealed box may be OK for these situations. Otherwise, based on this driver's published specs it needs to be either a corner loaded sealed or some form of TL alignment in the 150-200 L range or 300+ L for a TH.

It's been awhile, but last time I checked it was cheaper to buy a high power prosound amp (especially used) than a suitable AC/DC power converter or sealed/no maintenance battery + charger to drive your existing amp, but check around to make sure this is still the case.

GM

Car Polk Sub?Hide this!Advertise here!