Suggestions for hidden sub - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2009, 02:14 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default in floor sub ideas

Guys:

These are all great ideas. The last one, the tube in the floor is the closest to the concept I was originaly thinking. It is really inconspicuous.

I also like the idea of forming with a trash can....it has the advantage of tapered sides. Maybe I'm making a mistake with this, but I'm not too worried about moisture. One, we have not have moisture in the basement, and that is before I do my improvements, including full perimeter drains, etc. Also, all my floors are heated slabs. That has the advantage of dying things out. At least while the boiler is on.....

The foam I use is closed cell. It is impervious to water. They make it right here in town, up to 3# density, which is so hard you can walk on it for roofing. What ever you stick together with it stays stuck, period. I have long wondered what would be the effect of filling between 2 sonotubes with foam, rather than concrete.

As to drivers, no ideas yet. I was assuming 15" though.

The other person suggested fake fireplace in the corner...interesting, we have two chimneys down there, one of which will have a fireplace added. It has large voids to either side, which could be bricked in to create a shelf about 30"H, 40" wide, and up to 24" deep. If done in brick to match the chimneys, you could hide a driver in there, and it could extend into the ground as far as you chose.

It is a big area, but the speakers will be on one end of the "U" shaped space.

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 22nd June 2009, 02:26 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

When I built my son his 18th birthaday present I wanted to utilize the old chimney and fireplace as a sub box, unfortunately his mother objected and it was never done, but I did plan it. Those old chimneys have a huge volume and the idea has been in the back of my mind ever since
Old 22nd June 2009, 03:43 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Homebuilder, you are on the right track with the 3 lb density foam. I've used thousands of cubic feet of it for all kinds of projects. Even though you may have a heated floor and perimiter drains, more than likely your hole will be deeper than that and the core of the earth will be colder than your room. I doubt you have enough BTU's to warm the planet. But if you insulate it to the top, you will be ok. When the temperature gets low enough for dew point, you will have moisture, and an absolute seal is required to the slab above. It is not so bad since you will be on an inside wall, and the earth will be 45 degrees or so, but near the outside wall it can be problematic. I dealt with this in Colorado with outside stone walls at 35 below zero, and it took a 4" layer of 3 lb foam to stop the condensation. Great stuff to use!
Old 23rd June 2009, 08:03 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default sub

Chipperman:

Point well taken. Along the lines of some of the suggestions, I thought of having it stick part way out of the slab, but disguising that part in some fashion. Maybe with bricks and mortar.

That foam is great stuff, eh?

Have you tried using any of it in a speaker, such as in between two layers of something else? ie Sonotube. It is very rigid, and should not resonate.

Thanks!
Old 26th June 2009, 09:01 AM   #15
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
..As to drivers, no ideas yet. I was assuming 15" though. .
Hi homebuilder,

FYI,Here's a suggestion using 15 Dayton TIT400C-4 instead of the 12 Dayton RSS315HF-4.

b

1(1)
Attached Images
File Type: gif dayton tit400c-4_t-tqwt.gif (83.8 KB, 125 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!