Dampening in Tapped Horns??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Don...that's a good link.

I'll give the horn about 1/3 stuffing based on what I've read.

For my TH (the long 2.2m version), I'll have one entire side with a removable pane. Probably use that awful black head-gasket for a sealing agent....but may not even need that for he initial evaluation stages. Thoughts? Perhaps a simple dry cork or foam might be better...less messy.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Better stuff at Clarke Rubber,
buy a few meters of the soft round- section foam they sell as filler for brick-work and sealing around door jambs, it is cheap and reusable and available in sections from 3mm to 45mm.
i can't think of the term for it at the moment, blame the brain cloud

Just spent 8 hours building the horn. It's up and running.

Talk about OVER KILL. The thing can't get past 1/10 volume on the (600-watt) amp.

Heaps of room mods to attend to due to vibration etc. This unit is better suited to a small theatre rather than a lounge room. (Wife just got home from work to see what's happened to the lounge.....not impressed. My Lowther Big Fun Horns now look.....puny!)

I tried Madonna - Dick Tracy soundtrack...with the plate amp on only...and no stereo amp....a good way to test the sub.

The house just shook....hardly pleasant....but very effective.

I'm learning about the importance of integrating bass with mids/highs....it's hard work!

I think I should build the 30Hz smaller horn...half the size.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
When you say 2.2meter do you mean 1/4 wavelength 2.2M or that the units are 2.2M tall, I'm still trying to get my head around tapped horns.

I have a pair of Cerwin Vega 124's that would probably work; but I'm not that willing to experiment just at the moment.
Also I don't ATM have a couple of 1000Watt amps

Good job atilsley,
Welcome to the club. With a 4.5 meter horn you should be reaching some notes that will shake the house! It's fun to
use an audio editing program (I use GoldWave), to find material to test your TH.

William Cowan has done several good designs, and I have folded a few that have worked well. Also, check Volvotreeter's website
(if you haven't already). I've heard that Halloween is catching on down under! Your horn would be an interesting novelty with
the right sound files.

Here's one of my favorites. William has built single fold versions using a Peerless and a Jaycar:

Attachments

• beyma2.gif
    beyma2.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 433
Don Snyder said:
Good job atilsley,
Welcome to the club. With a 4.5 meter horn you should be reaching some notes that will shake the house! It's fun to
use an audio editing program (I use GoldWave), to find material to test your TH.

William Cowan has done several good designs, and I have folded a few that have worked well. Also, check Volvotreeter's website
(if you haven't already). I've heard that Halloween is catching on down under! Your horn would be an interesting novelty with
the right sound files.

Here's one of my favorites. William has built single fold versions using a Peerless and a Jaycar:

Will this 30hz horn work with the FAITAL PRO 12HP1020? I would be willing to build one this week for live sound use, maybe a dual driver would be better for live use? thanks sorry for the derail

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.