Dampening in Tapped Horns??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's Andrew's Tapped Horn!

I pulled the pic off www.stereo.net.au

It's a single fold tapped horn (looks like 14 x 18 x 88 inch outside). The only thing unusual is L12 has no taper,
which makes the build a little harder without any improvement. The driver has an x-max of only 3.5mm, which
makes this box good for HT, but not PA.

Attachments

• img_3395.gif
    img_3395.gif
    88.2 KB · Views: 213
Hi Don.

What's L12?

There is a taper on the inside panel. The top measurements where the panel finishes are:

195mm (7.7 inches); 205mm (8.1); 211mm (8.3).

There are two small corner deflectors at the top of differing sizes...both 45 degrees.

The horn mouth is 324mm x 324mm (12.8 x 12.8).

I'm still mucking around with deadening. At the moment, I have both sides of the horn channel damped with fairly loose poly fibre...plus some dimpled foam at the horn curve. I think this piece needs to be removed...not sure.

I know this - 600-watts is hard to tame..especially where the driver is 97dB...and my lounge room is a moderate 4m x 7m.

In a way, I'd prefer a valve amp....

I agree with your comment - the horn would make a massive impact for Home Theatre...which I don't do any more.

My latest project is a pair of Coral 12-inch drivers in sealed ply boxes...heavily braced and damped. Nice tight sound. I'm stunned that the 'vintage' Corals can generate so much bass...only 60-watt drivers....94dB. Again, I'm using the same 600-watt amp. I can hardly move the volume dial before all hell breaks loose.

Hi Andrew,

In HornResp, L12 is the length from the closed end of the Tapped Horn to the centerline of the front of the driver.
Your baffle (where the speaker is mounted) appears to be a separate piece, not just part of the flare panel.
William Cowan, and many others combine the flare panel and the baffle panel into one. This simplifies the carpentry
without causing any problems.

Attachments

• img_3395.gif
    img_3395.gif
    88.8 KB · Views: 190
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.