Horn response Pardon my ignorance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
First off thank-you to David Bean for the program and all the hard work you have done with it.
Having downloaded the program and read through the notes I am still at a loss as how to enter driver parameters when all I have are the basic T/S date supplied my the manufacturer.

It is a stupid question I know but I seem to be having some old timers trouble ATM.

I was just wondering if I could squeeze my CV 124s into a tapped horn and get the extra SPL without losing the deep extension they have in a TL

Regards
Ted

Moondog55 said:
Having downloaded the program and read through the notes I am still at a loss as how to enter driver parameters when all I have are the basic T/S data supplied by the manufacturer.

Hi Ted,

You can use the 'Calculate Parameter' tool when a record is in Edit mode to derive Cms, Mmd, Bl and Rms values (in that order) from the relevant Thiele-Small parameters. See page 8 of the Hornresp Help file for details.

Kind regards,

David

Moondog55 said:
What happens if you run the taper in a tapped horn the other way, that is in a contracting taper not an expanding one??
Can I model that in Horn Response??

Indeed you can, you can also model TL's, vented and bandpass enclosures as well, it's very flexable.

Many tapped horns tend to have the driver at the very start and end of the line, and they model in a very similar fashion to expanding TL's, so if you reverse the taper, you end up with a more or less typical tapered TL.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Thanx Volenti.
Must say that I am still having trouble tho.

When designing a tapped horn ; how much lower than driver Fs should the horn length be?? fixed percentage of nominal figure??

if driver resonant frequency is 23 Hz, is an 18 Hz length appropriate and how much flare does a driver with a very low Vas need, or is horn volume flexible??

In other words where do you start the design point?/
I have read ALL of the threads on tapped horns and I'm just as confused now as I was 3 months ago.

The drivers I have are totally wasted in their little sealed boxes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.