Polk Audio db1240 DVC for Home Sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Im intrested to build a sub for my home audio.

I selected Polk audio car sub Model db 1240DVC.
please suggest if its a right choice.

Polk Audio - db1240 DVC

Specifications
Overall Frequency Response: 27-200 Hz
Nominal Impedance: Dual 4 ohms
Power Handling (continuous): 360 w
Power Handling (peak): 720 w
Efficiency: 88 dB
Voice Coil Diameter: Driver 2" (5.08cm)
Top Mount: 6" (15.24cm)
Bottom Mount: 6-3/4" (17.14cm)

Thiele/Small Parameters

Recommended Enclosure: Sealed/Ported/Bandpass
Resonant Frequency: 27.8 Hz
Qms 10.8
Qes .5
Qts .5
Vas 3.10 cubic ft/87.8 L
Cms 232.4 Micro Meters
Bl 9.2 Tesla Meters
Sd 80.6 sq in/520 sq cm
Xmax (linear) .728 inch/18.5 mm (peak to peak)
Mms 141.7 g

As long as you put it in the proper size box, and have an amplifier than can drive it, than it will sound great for home audio.

What kind of amp are you using to drive this woofer? It's a dual 4-ohm speaker, so you either are driving 8 or 2 ohm depending on how you wire it. Make sure your amp can handle the load.

If you are fine with 27hz, it will do. IF you want lower frequency, then get a different woofer. It's up to you, but IMO it will sound good.

I used a Sony Xplod, and it worked great. Car subs are cheap and make good bass, and it's low enough bass that's good for HT with the right woofer.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

It's only the right choice if it gives you the performance you want in the max box size you can tolerate, so no one here but you can decide that.

That said, it's not ideal if you want to experience all of what a system capable of reproducing all of the BW the largest pipe organ symphony CDs offer unless your room has lots of gain, but otherwise should be fine in a sealed cab or TL if the XO point is < 100 Hz and preferably < 80 Hz.

If size and build complexity isn't an issue, then a tapped TQWT or better still, a tapped horn, could be a better choice.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.