Subwoofer enclosure design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
I'm going to make a box for my 10" subwoofer.
I have choosen that I want a soft bass sound, so I'm thinking to make a ported enclosure.
My question is now:
The manufacturer of the subwoofer says the box volume should be 15 liters, but what will happen to the effect of the subwoofer, if I make a larger box, like 30liters? Is it better or doesn't it change anything?

Regards,

Simon H.A.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Cyberzim said:
Hi there,

The manufacturer of the subwoofer says the box volume should be 15 liters

but what will happen to the effect of the subwoofer, if I make a larger box, like 30liters?

Simon H.A.

You could get a lower tuning, with some port fiddling

But should be done VERY carefully, or you risk a peak just before rolloff

15liter?
That sounds like a carsub

Simon:
We need a series of specifications of your driver..They are called the 'Thiele Small parameters'.
These specs are necessary for the correct calculations(Yes there is MATH!) of the size & performance of your subwoofer.
We all here can crunch the numbers for you no problem...but we need those numbers to start off with.
There are sophisticated computer programs to do this...some like myself have read a book or two on the subject & our books are well tattered from doing the math & rereading over & over.
__________________________________________Rick............

Attachments

• 813.jpg
    813.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 741
One of the main problem is, that I didn't really get any information with the speaker, and it is a car sub I guess.
It's called "GTX dB Warrior" and can take 1200watt rms.
That's all I can say, but maybe I can measure the subwoofer to get the information I need to make a enclosure? Like the cone area, cone depth etc.
And is it better to have a lower tuning frequency or should it be adjusted to what type of bass sound I want?
It will be used for festivals and outdoor parties, so it must be a enclosure for the best effiency but still has an okay sound. The size of the box doesn't matter so much for me, a large one is fine.
Hope you can help me with this project.

Regards,

Simon H.A.

Yeah, you are probably right.
It's a little sad, but that's what happens when you are an inexperienced buyer :(
But I think it's still usefull, hooked it up to a 20watt transformer (50hz in Denmark), and it gives a lot sound in my little "Test box", you can hear it upstairs.

Regards,

Simon H.A.

My problem is the same "Subwoofer inclosure design" I don't wish to create new thread.

Fortunately, I have 4 amps & 4 (4 Ohm) drivers. Unfortunately 22 Watt each amp. While surfing Net I found attached configuration. Should I go ahead ?

Attachments

• untitled.gif
    untitled.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 393
Numbers, numbers

Ok..These are the figures I came up with..
For a ported box I got ..
Vb(Box volume) was 2.072....Cubic feet.
F3(Low frequency cutoff) was 23.38....Hz
Fb(tune frequency) was 27.236 Hz
I got tangled up in the math for the port size..We can tell this is a car subwoofer purely from the math.
We don't have the Qes to figure the EBP(Efficiency bandwidth product)...As figures above fifty make for a better ported configuration..and those below fifty for a sealed type.
For a sealed design I got 1.0637.....Cubic feet.
This for a Qtc of .707...an idealized response...at this size using some acoustic stuffing will drive the value of Vas up giving a value of Qtc somewhat less then .707 tending for a better "attack" or transient hits from the system...at the expense of 'lower' frequency response.
Yes the T/S parameters can vary......but as we have found we now know which direction we can take...myself I'd just run a sealed type with stuffing & call it done.
_________________________________________Rick..........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.