Lab12 - Tapped Horn

Thanks to Don Snyder & Chris.

attachment.php

Split off from this long post,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1819879#post1819879

- 2-sheets of 3/4" 15-ply ApplePly used.

- The blue CAT5 will be used to power some RGB LEDs to illuminate the 1/2" Green-Edge CNC Carving / access panel.

- Coil will be installed later

Here are my current build pictures:

Old Canon 10D, 28-135mm USM-IS, ISO100, F16, 1/80sec.
IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

Some CNC V-Bit Carving Action:

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

Setup took about an hour

IMG_0977.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Really nice work and great pics! I like that the driver is visible. My tapped horn is very similar in layout to yours and I get slick of putting on the hearing protection and sticking on my head in the mouth with a flashlight to monitor driver excursion.

I added a ton of bracing to mine, here's a pic if you're looking for some inspiration.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1625614&stamp=1223240677

BTW how to you intend to finish it - i.e. paint, stain etc.

Great construction !
How does it perform compared to regular boxed sub's with the same driver ( sealed box ? ) ?
Horn's are great for high efficiency but how does this implementation compare ?
I'm asking because the chance of me coming across a similar setup is 'very' remote .
Cheers.

ashok said:
Great construction !
How does it perform compared to regular boxed sub's with the same driver ( sealed box ? ) ?
Horn's are great for high efficiency but how does this implementation compare ?
I'm asking because the chance of me coming across a similar setup is 'very' remote .
Cheers.

Much Louder!
Much Lower!
Much Cleaner!

Impossible to design without computer simulation, and 95% of all drivers are unsuitable.

This one has an F3 of 20Hz, but it can only be used to 70-80 Hz. It requires 4th order HP & X-Over filters

Thanks for your comments Don.

Jogi59, can you please put up the URL for that picture.

I get a blurb saying " No hotlinking allowed !"

It says " use the first link after the completed upload ". I guess you know what to do .

Maybe this is an opportunity to sort out the differences between the two implementations. I'm sure each has its own merits and demerits. However the conclusions will help in choosing the solution for others who have not made the comparisons themselves.

Cheers.

Don Snyder said:
1.What happens when the port chokes?
In a 300 liters box is enough space for big enough ports
Don Snyder said:
2. Doesn't the vented box run out of xmax first?
No
the tapped horn runs out of Xmax first

Visaton in germany measured a tapped horn and a vented box of the same size in their anechoic room. The surprising result was: the vented box went louder
Tapped_Horn_vs_Bassreflex.gif

Post #13

Post #13

Hi joqi59:

Very interesting data. That has to be one big anechoic chamber to reach down to 20/30Hz.

Looking at the left hand graph (1W/1m?), I doubt that this is a well designed tapped horn. It would be nice to get more data on the build.

Do you have any more information pertaining to the tests, e.g.: which woofer was used, enclosure's layout, drive power?

Regards,

I think a size distinction needs to be made here. If you are willing to live with a 300 L box, then maybe a ported enclosure is fine for some people. However, the main advantage to the tapped horn is its ability to play low, clean, and loud in enclosures smaller than what is needed for a ported box. Regardless the sizes, the tapped horn is more musical because it has a broader tuned bandpass than a ported enclosure. I've never heard a ported enclosure play anything but one note bass. That's what happens when you only have a tuned port to work with.

Re: Post #13

tb46 said:
Very interesting data. That has to be one big anechoic chamber to reach down to 20/30Hz
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

tb46 said:
Looking at the left hand graph (1W/1m?), I doubt that this is a well designed tapped horn. It would be nice to get more data on the build.

Don´t forget, that the measurement was done in an anechoic chamber=fullspace=4.0xpi in hornresponse.
To compare it with hornresponse simulations, add 12dB (1.0xpi) or 18dB (0.5xpi)
tb46 said:
Do you have any more information pertaining to the tests, e.g.: which woofer was used, enclosure's layout, drive power?
The original thread is here
http://www.visaton.de/vb/showthread.php?t=18417
Simulation is in post 28
Enclosure in post 40
Used driver
TIW 300

Those pictures look very familiar...

I did some corner braces (piece of wood 2''x2''x12'' on each of the inside fold corners. I also filled in that gap with expanding spray foam after it was completed. That space would be perfect though, for putting in a resonator or two, once you had figured out the correct length/tuning/etc.

I am thinking of having mine in a corner firing into the room through an opening in the door, and I would need to put on a small mouth extension to the horn. I am wondering if this would lower the tuning much.

The TIW300 has an Fs of 25Hz. Optimal frequency for a Tapped Horn is .707*Fs or 17.6 Hz. This driver doesn't appear to be a
good choice for a tapped horn, especially a 30Hz Tapped Horn.

Might I suggest a Beyma 12LX60 in a 30Hz Tapped Horn.

Attachments

• beyma.gif
    beyma.gif
    54.3 KB · Views: 5,070