Lab12 - Tapped Horn

Terry, it's only about 13" wide so bracing side to side might be a bit much - second thought, maybe not. Bracing along the length might help. Here's a pic I grabbed some time back from the big TH thread to give an idea what I mean. Stubby braces from each of the braces shown to the side walls would be how I'd try.

14inchtappedhorn0049bn7.jpg

Is that a Lab12 driver in the picture? If yes, where can I get details of this single fold cab? Thanks.

Last edited:
Brett's picture is of a very early Don Bunce build. HornResp was not doing tapped horns yet, and the dimensions were Don's best guess.

The L12 was good, the L23 was about 36" short, and the L34 was about 12" short for a Lab12. This design would have been a better fit
for a 3012LF. In my experience, the bracing was total overkill.

Last edited:
Don, I would be deeply indebted if you could show a layout of a single fold TH using the Lab12 driver where the height is 8ft (being the maximum size available for ply) and a footprint as small as possible. Alternately, I guess the height could go upto 9 1/2 feet (most ceiling height being 10' ) and I could possibly go with real wood/timber. Thanks again.

Don, I would be deeply indebted if you could show a layout of a single fold TH using the Lab12 driver where the height is 8ft (being the maximum size available for ply) and a footprint as small as possible. Alternately, I guess the height could go upto 9 1/2 feet (most ceiling height being 10' ) and I could possibly go with real wood/timber. Thanks again.

Bump and thanks!!

This is a great Tapped Horn build! :D I don't think I've seen the Frequency Response graph posted here. Does anyone have a link to it?

Also, is the speaker the Eminence Lab12 Generation II sub? Is there a Generation I, and if there is a Gen 1, are there any spec differences between the two? I'm getting conflicting information while Googling this subwoofer. Thanks for your time

"Gen I" was a prototype, and it was never sold. Here is the response curve for 100 watts input (the max I'd use for sine waves). For music, 300 watts
works just fine. This is a small TH for 18Hz, and requires some careful woodworking to prevent any leaks.

Attachments

• ChrisResp.gif
    ChrisResp.gif
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,199
Last edited:
HP @ 18Hz - 24dB/octave, XO @ 60Hz - 24dB/octave. Keep speaker input below 40 volts RMS, any amp will do,
so long as it doesn't have built-in high pass limiters. Most amps that do, allow you to disable it.

Consider alternate speaker mouth shown back about 10 posts. It can mount below/behind the video unit. Keep the
speaker coil away from the screen, it's not shielded.

110+ dB @ 20Hz has been known to cause structural damage ... be careful.

Last edited:
Don,

If this cab is to be used under a loveseat, would you recommend the alternate design with the mouth facing up into the loveseat or the original design where the mouth would be facing parallel to the floor?

Also, regarding your alternate design, do you have dimensions for the mouth? Or is it important to just keep the mouth square footage the same as the original? Lastly, will this alternate design alter the frequency response? thanks much for your patience and time! :)

-max

Hello guys and Happy New 2011.
I was looking for a subwoofer design on the internet which could be used as a base for a sofa and when I found this thread I was very interested.
My idea, based on the dimensions of this design, is to use 2 subwoofers next to each other placed on the floor on their left/right sides. This way I will end up with a huge base on which I consider to place a thick piece of penopoliurethane which will be specially crafted by a company.

My question is:
Can I use BMS 12S330 speaker as a replacement of the Lab12?

Here is the link to the official production website:
Overview

Thanks a lot!
Greetings!

Last edited: