Lab12 - Tapped Horn

Thanks David. There’s a few resonances colliding in that akward area in these. Always intersting to try and figure out what’s causing what in there

Attachments

• 7A55D21A-0906-4264-8CE0-62CF72EE1F19.jpeg
    7A55D21A-0906-4264-8CE0-62CF72EE1F19.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 40
  • CB732620-60A7-4F8E-A039-52769A59E88A.jpeg
    CB732620-60A7-4F8E-A039-52769A59E88A.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 43
For sub design I think that up to 200hz is more than adequate , when you apply a BW 4th order LP @100Hz all the nasty resonances got shaved up but you can still see some stuff up to around 200 sneaking in , according to Mr Weldz you can hear those "undesirable" resonances.

Unless is a Bose style 3:1 designed TL (quoting Mr Weldz here)

But I guess everything is subjective

Most festival style PA systems use walls of Lacoustiks KS28's , reflex cabinets or any other major brand reflex cabs. so no TH , FLH , TLs or BP cabs.

That is what I observed but I am not a big rig system authority, one thing that caught my eye is the EAW KF940 dual 12 bass horn.

If my memory don't fail me those beasts are heavy 200+ pounds and can hit in excess of 140+ spl with a single cabinet.

Acording to EAW brochure they used curved shape folding inside (opposed to the traditional TH folding we normally see )
Let's say XOC TH18...Arts Keystone or any other folded horn.

IDK if rounding the endpoints inside the path of the horn gives a smoother or more desirable freq response.

Just some twitch bits of my delusional frontal cortex neurons 😜

The resolution of the Hornresp charts is fixed at 533 frequency points between 10Hz and 20kHz, which will to some extent limit the degree to which things can be discerned.

I should have perhaps mentioned that if the Sample tool is used however, it possible to check values at 0.1 Hz intervals when the frequency range is set to 1 - 2000 Hz, and at 1 Hz intervals when the range is set to 10 - 20000 Hz :).

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: 1 users
For sub design I think that up to 200hz is more than adequate , when you apply a BW 4th order LP @100Hz all the nasty resonances got shaved up but you can still see some stuff up to around 200 sneaking in , according to Mr Weldz you can hear those "undesirable" resonances.

Most festival style PA systems use walls of Lacoustiks KS28's , reflex cabinets or any other major brand reflex cabs. so no TH , FLH , TLs or BP cabs.

That is what I observed but I am not a big rig system authority, one thing that caught my eye is the EAW KF940 dual 12 bass horn.

If my memory don't fail me those beasts are heavy 200+ pounds and can hit in excess of 140+ spl with a single cabinet.

Acording to EAW brochure they used curved shape folding inside (opposed to the traditional TH folding we normally see )

IDK if rounding the endpoints inside the path of the horn gives a smoother or more desirable freq response.

Aligning the resonators @ 3:1 is similar to offsetting a driver @1/3. Remove the cancellation and manage the 3/4 resonance it proceeds?

Attachments

• 43998C18-AA4D-4BBF-BAB8-451628BC155C.jpeg
    43998C18-AA4D-4BBF-BAB8-451628BC155C.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: 1 user
I wish to actually hear test cabinets with the different dimensions so to actually experience how I perceive the actual "flavour" of the bass coming out from the cabinets.🍻
Try a ‘bass reflex’ verses an expanding path TL/horn shape? I ‘think’ they sound audibly different but it’s hard to create ‘apples to apples’ to describe one that’s got impact vs boom(group delay or ringing) ??

-Those smooth shapes Allow HF sounds and resonances to escape out the vent.

-Those smooth shapes allow an even expansion shape in a horn as intended.

which do we choose 🥲

@GM?

Like basically everything else, just depends on the needs of the app, but as Dr. Geddes proved with his WG, get it as 'right as rain' for 'x' BW and damp to 'taste' for best overall performance or follow the pioneers that made optimal horns for a much wider BW than needed to ensure they performed at max practical efficiency in its optimal passband. ;)

Reactions: 1 users