Lab12 - Tapped Horn

Click on the image and it will expand some, then down in the lower left corner will be arrows to click to further enlarge them. I just click to open them in a new tab, which does the initial blow-up, then you can enlarge them pretty much as big as you want.

GM

If anyone wants the Mdf lab 12 20hz horn I built, and you're near NYC, come grab it, it's yours. No driver inside.

bysf.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, that is 125 db corner loaded correct? I have an epic 12 on the way. It will be going into an attic firing into my living room.

The decibel scale is off a little. It was loud enough to seem like it was threatening the structural integrity of the room, though. I believe when I made those measurements they were sitting in the back corners of the room, mouth facing up.

In fact, let me see if I can do one better..

Yeah, they were kinda like this.

And sometimes like this after a few drinks.

Last edited:
The decibel scale is off a little. It was loud enough to seem like it was threatening the structural integrity of the room, though. I believe when I made those measurements they were sitting in the back corners of the room, mouth facing up.

In fact, let me see if I can do one better..

Yeah, they were kinda like this.

And sometimes like this after a few drinks.

I'm surprised the liquor wasn't dancing of the shelves!

I was actually referring to the simulation you posted though. Your simulation showed 125 db at .5 x pi which is three adjacent walls (ie corner loaded) if I'm not mistaken. Either way it's still freaking loud!

Note that HR's 1.0, 0.5pi boundary loading is unrealistically optimistic for most HIFI/HT apps since no construction losses are accounted for, so best to use 2.0, 1.0pi for a more realistic wall/floor, corner loading sim and if your speaker measure better than predicted, so much the better overall WRT dynamic headroom, driver mechanical stress, onset of audible ditortion.

GM