Double 21'' Subwoofer project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Firstly I want to tell you that i have practically no idea of how to do this.. I've only built one or two speakerboxes, and that was without any calculations...

I know it may sound stupid to make such a massive sub as my first try, but for the PA I'm setting up it's what I'll need... And I consider myself quite handy, so as long as I can find out all the hows, there shouldn't be a problem. :)

So, what I want to do is; I want to build a subwoofer with two 21'' subwoofer loudspeakers.. I'm gonna make it a passive subwoofer with no inbuilt filter, so what I need to know is basically just how to figure out the dimensions of the speakerbox, but of course I'm grateful for any other usefull information or tips you might have. :)

Thanx!

/Shrewm

Provided you know the speaker's parameters, you can use winISD. I recommend the beta version, as the alpha is just silly when you come to putting in a new driver.

When you have put in the driver's parameters, try using different types of box (sealed, ported etc), until you find something to suit you.

Basically, keep changing the box size and port tuning until you have something which suits you.

Most people would choose a response as flat as possible, but that would make the box huge, so you will have to compromise.

Have fun

Chris

Hi, and thanks for your replies :)
I'm sure Winisd is a nice program, It's just i have no clue of how to use it.. I read some about the program on their forum, but I'm too much of a beginner to understand it, lol.

I found finished drawings on subwoofers which seem neat.. Though, i don't know how much the parameters differs from speaker to speaker (of the same size ofc) so maybe that's a bad idea ._.

As you can tell I don't have much experience, so if you have any tips of good books/magazines/websites or whatever for a beginner I'd really appreciate if you shared it ;)

/Shrewm :>

Okay, I think i know how to make a new driver for my speakers now. Only problem is that I don't have all the required parameters..

The information I have is:

OMEGA PRO-21X

Double magnets, 240 oz
100 mm higheffect spool, 4''
frequency size 18 Hz - 800 Hz
2 x 3000 W peakeffect
2 x 1500 W programeffect
2 x 750 W rms effect

8 ohm
sensitivity 102 dB +/- 2 dB vid 1W
Re 37 Hz
mH 1.93
Qms 9,56
Qes 0.3
Qts 0.29
Vas 666,9 liter
Xmax 4.7 mm
Sd 1398cm2
Solid aluminum baskets

Here's a link to the speakers:
http://www.billebro.se/myshop/myshop_start.php?APPID=2&PRID=1206

I'm not yet accustomed with speaker terminology in English so some of the words are translated directly from Swedish. Also note that it's possible that the parameters considers two speakers, since The info is copied from the link above.
Anyway my idea was that maybe It's possible to calculate the missing parameters with the ones i have already?

Thanks, and sorry for providing such lacking and confusing information, It's just that i don't know what to do with it for it to make more sense, since it makes none to me, lol.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.