Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2009, 06:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Send a message via MSN to villeneuve
Default Down-Firing or Rear Ports?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if it is better to have ports mounted on the bottom or the rear of the enclosure?
The driver itself is down-firing, and the enclosure is on a platform so that whole "carpet" thing isn't an issue.

Cheers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 05:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Hi!

Make sure the speaker doesn't get out of phase with the bassreflex tube! I dunno how to do that really.
Hope this tip helps!

Kindest Reegards,
Wolfgang
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 08:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
chris661's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sheffield
Blog Entries: 8
Use winISD to sort out the whole size and diameter of the port

Other than that - down is probably best, as speakers (especially rear ported ones) tend to not like being close to a wall.
__________________
"Throwing parts at a failure is like throwing sponges at a rainstorm." - Enzo
My setup: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...tang-band.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 10:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Brett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Default Re: Down-Firing or Rear Ports?

Quote:
Originally posted by villeneuve
Hi guys,

Just wondering if it is better to have ports mounted on the bottom or the rear of the enclosure?
The driver itself is down-firing, and the enclosure is on a platform so that whole "carpet" thing isn't an issue.

Cheers.
If I have to use ports, I prefer to have them on the bottom. Minimises any chance of any any high frequency info coming out and being audible and the carpet will help further with that. Just round over / flare the port outputs and I always ensure there will be 80-100mm between the baffle and the floor surface.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 09:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Default ports

I have built sealed and ported but always went back to sealed .
From what I read , any driver to be used for down firing must not sag too much , I think 10% max .
ports dont care too much about location but is best on the speaker face .
As the other letter stated any port noise will be absorbed by the ground (which is great )
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 04:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Brett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Default Re: ports

Quote:
Originally posted by bottomfeeder
ports dont care too much about location but is best on the speaker face .
There is no reason why placement on the baffle is universally best.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 07:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
chris661's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sheffield
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: ports

Quote:
Originally posted by bottomfeeder
I have built sealed and ported but always went back to sealed .
From what I read , any driver to be used for down firing must not sag too much , I think 10% max .
ports dont care too much about location but is best on the speaker face .
As the other letter stated any port noise will be absorbed by the ground (which is great )
I think the sag of the driver etc will have been accounted for

And ports do care about location - even front firing ports can sound boomy when the speaker is near the wall

And why try to cancel the port noises, when you could simply round off the edge of the port, which takes out noises.

Down firing port would care less about location than rear, but it would still matter.
__________________
"Throwing parts at a failure is like throwing sponges at a rainstorm." - Enzo
My setup: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...tang-band.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 04:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Default Re: Re: ports

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brett
[B]There is no reason why placement on the baffle is universally best

Here is some science..
at 20 hertz the wavelength is 55 feet so location wont matter , but at 100 hz the wavelength is 11 feet , so if the port is 3 feet away from the cone , its 1/4 wavelength away and so the cone and the port will be partially out of phase and cancell a bit .
You definitelly dont want the port 5 feet away from the cone (in like a sonotube)
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 05:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
that's exactly what I've been trying to tell you. If the tube gets out of phase with the driver, you will end up with even less bass than a sealed. If the driver and the tube are both on the front, it might be tricky to get them to play in phase. If they are on different sides of the speaker, that problem doesn't exist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 08:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Brett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Default Re: Re: Re: ports

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bottomfeeder
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
There is no reason why placement on the baffle is universally best

Here is some science..
at 20 hertz the wavelength is 55 feet so location wont matter , but at 100 hz the wavelength is 11 feet , so if the port is 3 feet away from the cone , its 1/4 wavelength away and so the cone and the port will be partially out of phase and cancell a bit .
You definitelly dont want the port 5 feet away from the cone (in like a sonotube)
Der.

I still stand by my statement that front is not universally best as you stated. To give an example, the last ported sub I built had the driver on the baffle at the very bottom, and the port was on the bottom only a short distance away, so phase difference was minor.

I can always find an extreme example to make a point, but I understand physics well enough to not make the mistake of ports several feet away.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
side/ rear firing speakers Good/Bad? mcmahon48 Multi-Way 1 6th February 2009 12:28 PM
what is the impact of having a rear firing port peteS Multi-Way 8 4th March 2006 03:43 AM
Rear firing Seas 27 TDFC LNeilB2 Multi-Way 9 9th August 2005 01:35 PM
Down firing ports jethari Multi-Way 1 19th November 2002 06:30 PM
rear firing tweeter - why? bbaker6212 Multi-Way 5 25th September 2002 12:50 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2