Noob - 55 gallon fiber tube sub...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Forgive me, I'm new here..

I've seen posts regarding sonotube subs, and I have a related question. I have access to free 55 gallon fiber tubes, and was wondering if these would be feasible for the sonotube-style design. What (easy) program would be best to find a driver for this size tube? Any help for "the noob"? Thanks in advance!

GM

Joined 2003
Don't see why not, so since 55 gal = ~7.352431 ft^3 (208.2 L), it's just a matter of trying different drivers in this box volume (Vb) - ~10% to allow for driver, bracing, vent (if used) losses.

'Easy' is relative, but WinISD Pro and Unibox are popular freeware around here, though the latter requires Excel 2k or later.

GM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Pictures?

Up here we call them 45 gallon drums (even thou -- it seems -- they are only 44 gallons)

I imagine they could be pretty good.

You are looking for driver(s) that work in 200 litres (just over 7 ft^3)

4 CSS SDX10 vented or 1 or 2 SDX15 sealed would work (with 2 SDX15 i'd look for 2 drums).

dave

I don't see why jack's 15" CV clone driver http://home.comcast.net/~jhidley/ at $60 wouldn't work in a big 'ol ported cabinet tuned to about 28-30hz. Use one of jacks on sale amps, they have the HP you need for a 30hz tuning. They also come shipped with a 35hz 6db bump.

It'd be cheap, and sitting in a corner would make some serious noise.

Here's the in corner response at 28v. Add in the amp 35hz bump and your room gain, and you should be flat down to a very respectable range.

Is that affordable enough? (edit, while I was typing, GM beat me to it !!)

Attachments

• cv15a.jpg
    cv15a.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 160
http://hsuresearch.com/products/asw-1203.html

This is my favorite sonosub driver, and to be honest, is where the whole sonosub trend came from.

4cu.ft. and a pair of 4" diameter x 24" long ports. I use a pair of these for subs in my church... granted I only run 85db at 72' (back of room) Once I get past 85... even the little old ladies take notice..

I guess once you open up the door to $100 drivers, you need to be more specific on your goals -- distortion, freq range, spl. etc... because there are more than just a couple options...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.