SDX10 in 24L sealed sub build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a sub build I started last weekend, the title pretty much says it all. It's based on the SDX10 by CSS in a 24L enclosure powered by a BASH300 amp in its own enclosure.

The enclosure will have curved sides made by laminating 1/8" baltic birch ply over the frame. I don't have any photos of just the frame but here it is so far for those interested.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

In the end the top and sides will be covered with walnut veneer. the back and bottom will be covered with black felt, and the front will have a slight curve and covered in black leather.

Below you can see the front baffle so far with the leather on it.

I'll post more pics as I get more done, I have to go pick up some more glue for the final lamination tomorrow, then this weekend I should get around to putting the veneer on.

Let me know what you all think,

Sam

Very nice looking !
It's shape is similar to my latest speakers: Black

We used different process for the curved shape.
I will probably try yours in a future project, I definitely love curves (not only for speakers ;) )

What was the reason for you to use the sealed version instead of the ported one ?

Progress so far

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

As for figuring out the shape, well I just started sketching till I found something I liked the put it in cad to get some dimensions on it to make sure I had the proper volume. Then once I found the right shape I made a large circle jig for my router and made the top and bottom. Then glued the top, bottom, front, back, and braces together to make the frame, started applying the 1/8" laminations, and today put on the veneer.

I do plan on making some front speakers to match, I started a thread on them in the speaker forum. They will be based on other drivers from CSS.

As for going with the sealed version, well I just like the sound of sealed.
(and those "Black" speakers look amazing! well done!)

Tomorrow I will try and get some pics up, I spent all day today putting on some veneer and some last touches and didn't have time to take pics while I was doing it.

Sam

Nice job on your sub... I am currently building a couple of subs using the same driver (however my builds are ported).

I am really intrigued by the BB 1/8" approach for construction. I have a number of 1/4" sheets of BB and wonder if I could get them to bend sufficiently.

How did/do you intend to "trim" the layers of plywood to match the front and back baffles? I assume a flush trim router bit could be used, but one would have to be very careful while routing as the sides aren’t flat.

Looking forward to the finished product...

Update

Here are some pics so far.

First is with no finish on the wood and the next two are with the first layer of wipe on poly.

To trim the front and backs I made a jig to hold it in place on my table saw sled. Basically I clamped some scrap mdf to it to hold it straight then cut away.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be putting on the second and third (maybe final) coat of poly and will post pics with the driver and front baffle all installed.

Mostly Done

Scott, the top is paper backed veneer that I glued down with wood glue. The sides are very thin (about 1/16") strips that I cut, taped together, and glued on.

So far it has 5 coats of rub on poly, I think tomorrow I might put on one more.

All thats left for the build is to make an enclosure for the amp and trim up the felt on the sub.

Here are some pics of it.

It's a little late here to really push it and hear how it sounds, but I can say that so far the sound that comes out of such a small box is impressive.

Now I just have to finish up the design for the matching fronts.

Sam

update

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't replied in a while but I have been busy building the matching front speakers. I'll probably get around to starting a thread on them later today.

The leather was actually pretty easy to put on. It's pretty stretchy and the mdf it was put over was rough enough that it didn't slid around when I was trying to get it in the driver hole and corners.

As for the feet, well they're just some spikes. I might be changing them out for something else because i think they look kind of small and funny.

As for the front baffle, I'll see if I can take some pics of the jig and post them but I'll try and explain it. First I cut some curved rails out of mdf with a radius of 3' I think, they are about 2'-6" long and 3" high. Then a sheet of 3/4" MDF a little bigger then the final baffle is screwed between them (this sheet is the one that will be curved). Next I attached two aluminum bars in parallel about 8" apart on the router base. The bars and router just ride along the top of the curved rails and slowly and carefully you just push it back and forth. Then a little sanding and it's done. The curve around the driver hole is just hand filed. Again I would like to stress the slowly and carefully moving the router.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Sam

As for the front baffle, I'll see if I can take some pics of the jig and post them but I'll try and explain it. First I cut some curved rails out of mdf with a radius of 3' I think, they are about 2'-6" long and 3" high. Then a sheet of 3/4" MDF a little bigger then the final baffle is screwed between them (this sheet is the one that will be curved). Next I attached two aluminum bars in parallel about 8" apart on the router base. The bars and router just ride along the top of the curved rails and slowly and carefully you just push it back and forth. Then a little sanding and it's done. The curve around the driver hole is just hand filed. Again I would like to stress the slowly and carefully moving the router.

Thanks for the info, I've seen this type of jig used before just might have to give it a shot one of these days it really completes the look IMHO, very professional.

I'm reviving this thread because I want to build a curved sided cabinet using the same technique for a set of bookshelves.

Sam. Can you provide some details on the lamination process? Did you do each layer individually or were you able to bend and laminate more than one layer at a time?

What is the final thickness of the sides? I'm wondering if I need to go 3/4 for a bookself or if 1/2" is good enough.

For an internal frame, I was thinking of using two additional pieces the same shape as the top and bottom giving about 4.5" between frame sections. I figure I can use dado joints to hold the frame pieces in place and square things up.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.