bass horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Crazy you want, crayz you get:

I would build two of either of theese:

The Corner Horn
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

TheCornerHorn is dryer in the bass and has to be corner placed. It is also more of a hifi sub.
You should have 2.5m height in your room.

or

The Sub Horn
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You can feed TheSubHorn several hundreds of watts, with 150W you can reach 135dB. ie ear bleeding levels!
It has a "wild" character
It should be cornerplaced.
For TheSubHorn, Eminence Kappa 15LF is the best choice.

Here are the specs for the driver: Fs 17Hz, Vas 87cu/ft, Mmd747grams, Qes .43, Qms 8.58, Qts .41 Sd 596 sq/in, max stroke 18mm, SPL 97 1watt/ 1 meter, 300watts RMS, 1000max. I'm afraid these are the only secs I have. I'd like to put it in the basement and vent it into the listening room.

GM

Joined 2003
OK, 'crazy' I can do :devilr:.

HornResp limits mouth area, so can't get really 'crazy' with 15 Hz being the lower limit for a full size mouth plus any room gain, so while this is a reactance annulled alignment its LF extension can be increased by using a larger rear chamber and letting room gain pump its response back up.

GM

Attachments

• clarion srw-8000 15-83 hz sub bass-horn.gif
    clarion srw-8000 15-83 hz sub bass-horn.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 577
The curve looks great GM but some of the spec #'s look odd to me. I must first apologize for not being familiar with hornresp. I tried to download it twice, but it will not run on my computer. I'm OK with the exponential flare, but need to know the throat and mouth area. As well as the lenght. Thank you. I like your identity pic. I have the book that photo came from. I have read the book, but have yet to apply or understand it's teachings. Thank you for your time.

SIRDRINKSALLOT said:
The curve looks great GM but some of the spec #'s look odd to me. I must first apologize for not being familiar with hornresp. I tried to download it twice, but it will not run on my computer. I'm OK with the exponential flare, but need to know the throat and mouth area. As well as the lenght. Thank you. I like your identity pic. I have the book that photo came from. I have read the book, but have yet to apply or understand it's teachings. Thank you for your time.

You're welcome!

Actually, since HR's alignment using its design Wizard ~ matched my calcs I just posted its results.

You'll have to be more specific about the odd specs. All I did was input yours plus assumed a 6.8 ohm Re since I found out it's a dual 4 ohm VC driver, ergo a nominal 8 ohm driver if wired it series. BL, etc. is calc'd by HR based on the T/S specs you listed.

Ideally you need to figure out why you can't get HR to run in case you want to make any changes or just try to find a different alignment.

throat = 2226.2 cm^2
mouth = 99999.99 cm^2
length = 752.66 cm
rear chamber = 635.36 L net
front chamber = 41823.29 cm^3 net

Obviously, at these sizes, rounding off numbers is not going to be audible.

GM

11 foot horn

Hi there: An alternate location would be to place the horn in an attic space of a pitched roof, an eleven foot horn opening in the ceiling would eliminate the need for hand rails around an eleven foot opening in the floor. How about two of these horns in the ceiling for some real bass. .... regards, Michael

Tapped Horn

Hi There: On a serious note, since you have space available, you may take a look at the photos and information on Tapped Horns found on William Cowans home page, and in another post some one else reported on building this type of horn into the floor joists in a crawl space below his listening room floor, with the horn mouth exiting upward. ...regards, Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.