Suggest me a plate amp that... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Suggest me a plate amp that...

...has these specs:

-150W+ on 4 ohm
-XLR input (mandatory)
-bass boost (preferrably with Linkwitz Transform circuit)
-up to 120-150hz 4th order lowpass filter (=24db in specs)
-class AB preferred, but compact size (less than 36cm in any direction)
-volume control (obviously)
-phase control

So far i have found three, total cost incl. shipping in parentheses:
-Rytmik A370XLR OB (with linkwitz circuit board) (approx 600)
-B.K.Electronics BSBPV 300 - (approx 450)
-XTZ Sub Amp 1 (lacks bass boost, wonder if i can put a T-bass in it) (520, bare)

They all seem reliable brands. The B.K. seems the best p/p option.

Suggestions?
Old 22nd March 2009, 02:36 AM   #2
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Telstar,

I can't be sure it meets all your spec. but I just fitted a Canadian plate amp into a new sub enclosure. Of course it meant buying in the same currency for me but overall I felt it was a good deal.

There are two flavours (300W and 500W) and it's a Class D amp, made by Creative Sound Solutions. The guy who runs it, Bob Reimer was very pleasant to deal with.

Here's where you can find the information: http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=BASH300
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 22nd March 2009, 04:15 AM   #3
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

http://oaudio.de/Heimkino/-Hifi-Elek...dpkq0dhdmslhc3

not a plateamp, but even so, more interesting
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
http://oaudio.de/Heimkino/-Hifi-Elek...dpkq0dhdmslhc3

not a plateamp, but even so, more interesting
This is very interesting indeed. They dont show the back so i dunno which connections are back there. but i think that in this case the best match is with a pro stereo amp such as Alesis to keep costs low.
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigun
Hi Telstar,

I can't be sure it meets all your spec. but I just fitted a Canadian plate amp into a new sub enclosure.
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=BASH300
It doesnt, but on their amp list i found something else interesting: Reckhorn amps and sub equalizers.

http://www.reckhorn.com/index.php?ln...od=a400&id=faq
I disagree with point D (which is the opposite for me, cheap xlr pro cables vs expensive loudspeaker cables), but the rest is sound.

TBH I expected plate amps to be cheaper and still having some EQ functionality, which instead they don't.

So, for the bass only, I think i'll be following Linkwitz approach, i.e. active eq and a highpowered stereo amp. Even if I dint fall in love for the Orions sound, the bass was its best part.

http://www.reckhorn.com/index.php?ln=en&prod=a400
I'm not sure if their amp (which includes eq and all other filters) is mono or stereo and it's a pity that it doesnt have a soft start.

But this:
http://www.reckhorn.com/index.php?ln=en&prod=b1
looks perfect for me and it's just 50 euros.

Gotta find a good "bass" amp now
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:55 AM   #6
jm_kzo is offline jm_kzo  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Telstar,

I will have soon to make a choice of this kind myself (projects here and here).

I have been lurking at the Reckhorn units for a while though the S-1 unit looked more suitable for me.

For the amplifier, I think I will go for a small PA amplifier like the Behringer A-500 or the Alesis RA500. They are fan less and can be found for 180/230 (www.thomann.de).

Once you have "made the jump", please let us know about the sound quality of the Reckhorn as provided I understood correctly the online doc, they would sit in the path of the signal to the mains and as my use is half HT/half hifi, I would like to avoid using something that is going to impact the signal to the mains.

Thanks for sharing your experience anyway.
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:34 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I also thought of the Alesis power amp, maybe a smaller model such as the ra-300, as I have about 100W into 4 ohms demand for the woofers.

I wont use the Reckhorn units for anything else than the subs, which ideally will be cut around 100hz. I'm also considering the S1.
I have a preamp with two outputs and I'm splitting the signal there.

I can try to route from the reckhorn and see how much damage will do to the sound, but i'm pretty sure it will. Shouldnt be an issue for HT, though

About timing, the bass will be the second step in my open baffles project, so the ETA is very uncertain. It may be well likely that you would get them first.

Hide this!Advertise here!