ServoDrive Subwoofer??!? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2009, 08:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ServoDrive Subwoofer??!?

Hey guys i haven't been online here at Diyaudio.com for quite some time and i was looking at my old thread in subwoofers. I was wondering if anyone can suggest some websites and literature for a Servodrive subwoofer, I am looking to build one and my countless internet searches have alas turned up nothing. Any help would be appreciated Thank You a Bass junky Teenager
Old 19th March 2009, 03:48 PM   #2
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Posting twice in an hour's going to make people NOT want to help you. Given that you're going to be waiting on shipping, assembly, etc, relax and you'll get better feedback. Your impatience shows in that you haven't searched sufficiently to find anything, as servo subs have been discussed extensively in this and other forums.

You seem to be expecting this to be a free tech support forum for you, where people will spoonfeed you. I looked at the wikipedia entry for subwoofers, and there's a company that makes servo kits within there.

Spend the time and do your own homework young man!
Old 19th March 2009, 05:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Rythmik Audio have some products that might be relevant.

See http://www.rythmikaudio.com/index.html
Old 19th March 2009, 05:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you Pigletsdad. tahts the kind of input i am looking for it is appreciated i will look at it when i get a minute
Old 19th March 2009, 05:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You probably won't find much info on ServoDrive on this site; most of the diy activity surrounding them occurred on the old Bass List. Just as well, as your attitude pretty much ensures that you won't get much help on this site now.

If you can't find the Bass List archives and make sense of them, I find it unlikely that you would be able to pull off the project anyway.

BTW - this is not a rhythmic style servo sub. The ServoDrive used a mechanical servo motor to drive the diaphragms.
Old 19th March 2009, 09:42 PM   #6
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Is this really worth so much effort

Anyway, a VERY long time ago a danish guy designed a diy servo sub

It was something with mounting a piezo crystal on the dustcap...if I remember correctly
Old 19th March 2009, 10:07 PM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: ServoDrive Subwoofer??!?

Quote:
Originally posted by dwk123
You probably won't find much info on ServoDrive on this site; most of the diy activity surrounding them occurred on the old Bass List. Just as well, as your attitude pretty much ensures that you won't get much help on this site now.

If you can't find the Bass List archives and make sense of them, I find it unlikely that you would be able to pull off the project anyway.
Yep, where's a moderator when you need one.......

Having built two kits with another two unassembled that I probably should have sold along with them while the 'iron was hot', I seriously doubt even an advanced diyer would be able to properly replicate its belt system close enough to withstand high power for any useful length of time, at least not without some spectacular failures along the way to getting it right.

GM
Old 20th March 2009, 12:20 AM   #8
tt398 is offline tt398  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ServoDrive

you may be thinking of Tom Danley's old ServoDrive ContraBass subwoofer.

tim
Old 20th March 2009, 12:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Check AudioXpress back issues

A few years back someone published a couple of articles on a servo feedback sub. The design used a DVC driver, where one coil was driven and the other was used to measure feedback. It seemed to work OK.
Old 20th March 2009, 02:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Sound Physics Labs is where the info on the Servodrive sub is,unfortunately,their site is down for revamping at the moment.

I heard the Servo subs at a speaker show some years back,and they were quite impressive...,however,I would suggest that you would be better off to build a tapped horn instead.Much easier and less expensive.

If you haven't read the The Collaborative Tapped Horn thread,now is the time to start.

Good Luck!

Hide this!Advertise here!