Wanna see a pic of my subwoofer?? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dave Bullet said:
If you are only doing a 6dB slope on the tweeter, by what people say around here.... just make sure you XO well above Fs of the tweeter, or ensure you don't feed it a heck of a lot of power or you'll bow it.

It seems to me minimalist is the ideal way to go for xovers - as John Murphy says... "xovers are evil, but a necessary evil".

Dave.

resonance frequency is 1170Hz.... the reccomend you crossover the drivers I am using at 2500Hz.... But I think slightly lower would be better... :) say 1800 - 2000

Just been reading yer post, quoted earlier shiva's need a 130ltr box.
Well I have a single shiva in a 89.5ltr@27Hz, it absolutley hammers low(very) it rattles the neibour's windows(across the road!)and I've only got 250wrms!
Its the loudest and lowest single 12" HT sub I have heard, including ones priced well over 3K...
cost me $328 on the doorstep
use's a Jcar 250w plate amp$369
2x2400/1200/18mm mdf sheets $60(its double thick, triple in places)
2x 700ish mm x 100 mm dia pvc pipes/ports(freebee's)
All up thats about $750ish AUD good investment
Still havent done a finish on it yet as Im still building the front mains/rear surrounds, centre channel is built.
I cant decide what finish, got a shed full of baltic pine as it looks cool on me DIY computer speakers... Trouble is after about a year the baltic can split(doesnt affect the speaker, as box is MDF)see picture

Attachments

• computer speaker.jpg
    computer speaker.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 279
hmm.. kewl..... I don't like the idea of the foam surrounds in the South Australian climate however.... also, I'd like a sub that will to well in a 50litre ported enclosure.... that is, my towers.... (which I want to modify once they are made) also, should the port be on the front or the back? and how high from the bottom of the box? I'm talking about my 100cm high 21cm wide and 30cm deep (internal) 8inch woofer 1 inch tweeter Peerless towers.. I don't wanna start a new thread to ask this. lol

mikee12345 said:
i emailed u skinny boy about IBs because often posts in this forum disapear too quick

yeah, thanx, I got your email.. :) I wasn't planning on doing IBs in the future, I just wanted to see what my elcheap-o 10inch would sound like... I already had a hole in the floor, and a piece of wood that almost fitted.. lol so, why not.. :)
I moddled it in WINISD in a 9999999999litre box tuned to 0.1Hz.. which if ya ask me is basically free air.. :) lol
The result is this....
The green line is free air, the red is in a 50litre box, which is what it used to be in... :)

Attachments

• lalala.gif
    lalala.gif
    13 KB · Views: 252
notice how it takes a billion litres to make any difference,i noticed this with my jbl,to get response better,adding 100litres made only 1db difference,135litres and 175 is basicaly the same.

try estimating the volume of the box eg: underfloor height 50cm,x 20x30m etc...

i would try that,because it may not be a billion or whatever 9999999999 litres :-D

IBs have low power handling so expect the xmax to be used up if u want it loud.
there is an IB forum called: *cult of the infinitely baffled*

Okay... I took some pictures.. don't laugh.. lol ignore the smiley face painted on the cone with liquid paper.. :) It actually sounds pretty good.... is there anyone on this forum in SA who wants to hear it so they can post their honest opinion.. :D lol I think it sounds good cos the whole floor moved.. lol :) Darn... I just realised I overrode some other pictures in my geocities account.. lol
anyway... here they are... I hope.. lol :)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.