Acry Tech DuraTex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone used the Acry Tech DuraTex Speaker Cabinet Texture Coating ?

I got some and finally got to spray my cabinets.
The cabs are MDF and have a flat black primer. The Duratex is eggshell cracking and flaking all over the place. I emailed them this morning but no reply. It was Monday so temp was low 70's hardly any humidity and was sprayed inside.

I have used a spray on bedliner
in the same manner and as long as I let it cure it worked perfectly.
So I assumed the flat black primer wouldn't bother the Duratex which is meant for speakers.

Suggestions?

No jbell the primer is not oil based.
I cant stand oil based which is why I tried out the Acry Tech Duratex.
I received and email from them and it seems that they had a batch without enough coalescent. Mine was made during that time so I have to call them today.

It was weird as it didn't happen
over 100% of the area. Like about 80%. After this email I am sure all will be well. I had a spec on my fingernail that was a PITA to remove. (don' use Xylene etc)

Will post back after I receive
another batch and respray them.

Thanks for the update on the acry. Did they say what mfg dates had this issue? I hope I don't have any of that batch. I'd like to know, and save myself some headache....

I didn't mean to offend on the oil comment, but I've known people who thought they picked up water based, and didn't in a production environment, and it sounded just like the old 'oil and water' description.

BTW.. I've found that BEHR ultra-premium from HD, shoots from a texture gun, and looks pretty good.

I buy behr oops color for primer, and then shoot black on top. The ultra-premium seems like liquid plastic. Kinda like the acry, without the solids. With the cheap oops paint, you can afford to stand back, and really shoot some rough texture, so it works. One really goofy thing... the paint computer at HD doesn't have 'black' as a color. You have to ask for a custom color with 100% black pigment.

You didn't offend.
I went and double checked just to make sure I didn't grab the wrong one by mistake.

And No they did not say what dates.
I had emailed them asking if I did anything wrong. Explaining the steps I took. They got back with me today with that info and have already sent out a replacement! Great customer service!

Though with current temperatures
I will have to wait to respray. I am debating whether I should
scrap/sand them down or take a 5lb hammer and beat on it to see if any actually comes off. If it doesn't just spray over it.

I tired to get my local HD and Lowes to
mix the primer black for me and they wont. I had to buy a thing of black paint and mix it myself. I would call it Charcoal Grey to flat black.

I will definitely look into
BEHR ultra-premium and oops color for primer. I have used Herculiner and Duplicolor bed liner coatings. pretty nasty stuff though.

FlipC said:

I tired to get my local HD and Lowes to
mix the primer black for me and they wont. I had to buy a thing of black paint and mix it myself. I would call it Charcoal Grey to flat black.

I suspect this is where things went bad for you.

1) use regular primer and sand/prep.
FYI - oil based* or waterbased primers can be used before any water based paint. Oil based is still the goto for the toughest jobs.
2 spray a can of automotive dark primer over the first.
3) apply the waterbased Duratex

* s/b really called mineral spirit base not oil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.