Altair Sub (2x TRIO8's) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2009, 01:18 AM   #1
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Altair Sub (2x TRIO8's)

The design is now finalized and deserved of a properly titled thread

[contd. from : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...58#post1765758]

For those who don't know, this project is part of my attempt at assembling a HT system. The surrounds were done already [see: My 'Moon-Onken'] and now we have the matching sub.

The theme is Forbidden Planet and the sub is named after the planet they landed on.
Attached Images
File Type: gif altairsub07.gif (71.5 KB, 1330 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 9th March 2009, 01:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The box pretty much finished. Varnished and painted waiting for drivers and plate-amp to be installed. The design provides for a hollow tunnel through the box between the drivers. This is perhaps an unusual arrangement for bracing. However, it makes assembly and other tasks very much easier and I highly commend this approach.

I have assembled the drivers and amp temporarily and applied power - and heard some low frequencies....

this is a good moment to thank all those who have provided advice (Dave of planet10, Moondog55 and others)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1867_f.jpg (76.7 KB, 1242 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 9th March 2009, 01:38 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

lookin' good

dave
Old 10th March 2009, 10:15 PM   #4
AKN is offline AKN  Sweden
No snake oil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AKN
Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
lookin' good

dave
Yep, agree.

Any bass notes yet?
Old 11th March 2009, 04:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

It's been breaking in and sounding nice, ti really fills out the low end for the Moon-Onkens nicely - but the plate amp is not screwed into the box yet so it isn't exactly 'sealed'. I hope this weekend to remove the drivers, tidy up the soldering of the wires to the drivers and finish it all up. Then I'll be able to update my impressions.

p.s. Not having had a sub before I was still surprised (despite warnings) how much the bass gets localized in and around the house.
Old 11th March 2009, 06:43 PM   #6
MartinQ is offline MartinQ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigun
p.s. Not having had a sub before I was still surprised (despite warnings) how much the bass gets localized in and around the house.

This is why it is much better to invest in 3 or 4 smaller subs than one large one. Uneven low frequency response is inherent for indoor small-room listening.

http://www.mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/
Old 11th March 2009, 10:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

No doubt several subs have their advantage, but after making all the surounds I didn't want to make several subs. One is enough in terms of effort and I'm prepared to take some time to optimize the setup I have.

There are many variables involved even with one sub, optimization with many subs adds to the complexity. reduces WAF, can add to the cost. I leave that avenue for others to explore.

In fact, my speaker making days may be winding down now. Having made what I need in the way of speakers I am busy soaking up knowledge about amplifiers...
Old 16th March 2009, 07:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I had time to finish the thing properly. Here's a couple of photos, front shot showing inverted driver to one side, back shot showing amp and regular driver to side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atairsubfront_f.jpg (91.7 KB, 981 views)
Old 16th March 2009, 07:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

this is probably the end for my foray into this forum. Now I have to learn about amplfiers (over on the Solid State forum).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg altairsubback_f.jpg (94.2 KB, 951 views)
Old 18th March 2009, 02:09 PM   #10
MartinQ is offline MartinQ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Looks great! Any comments or reflections on this build you can share?

Hide this!Advertise here!