Box options for CSS SDX7.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've perused the Planet10 website and found the plans for a sealed, vented and ML-TL box for this driver. The ML-TL is almost 4' tall but I've seen another design which is shorter and used as a stand/base that utilizes two SDX7's in a push-push and side firing. It seemed like I've seen a few pictures of this sub over the months but now I can only find one. Has the plan been finalized? Is this design just a folded ML-TL?

When I searched for SDX7 I did find where you were pleased with a 14litre sealed box. I just bought a single used one from the Market Place and will make a sealed box for it until I get a pair or two pairs.
How did the ML-TL design on your site work with the two drivers in push-push?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Would Shadow be a contender for the dual driver type? You could always plunk a mid and tweeter on the front.

Attachments

• img_0473.jpg
    img_0473.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 835
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
901Fixer said:
What would you say is your favorite box to date for the SDX7 either single or bipole? How much amplifier power does each driver need? Size is not a problem, I'm a bachelor.

So far of what we have built, the 17 litre single sealed in Tysen, with the 14 litre single sealed with the built-in 2.1 channel plate amp (to go with uFonken) close behind. Next build will be a quad driver sealed. Then to rerplace the TLS, a sealed dual driver. I have some 7" Easttech for the TL boxes.

dave

These will support a pair of Aiko's with the FE108Enabled drivers I got from Dave. Also a pair of Bose901's but don't tell nobody, I can't take the heat. :hot:

I can't honestly tell you what I'm looking for since all of this DIYAudio is so superior to what I've owned over the years. I always assumed it better to go with bigger drivers for bass but seeing how much the SDX7 is liked on this site, I've changed my mind.

What does "WRT" stand for by the way?

With Regard To. I'll add that to my list.

Where might I find/see a 17liter Tysen box? Sealed is a simpler design so is it simply a box that has 17liters of internal air volume plus the bracing and driver or does the Tysen incorporate some additional desirable design elements?

Where does one acquire Baltic Birch in the Orlando, FL area?

Is it preferrable to have the SDX7 higher up than say a true subwoofer and closer to the Full Range driver? Is the brace between the side panels from top to bottom and the driver butts up against it?
Those look snazzy Dave, maybe I can incorporate something like that to the back of the Aiko's I plan to eventually build or make a stand for them to slip into/onto.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
901Fixer said:
Is it preferrable to have the SDX7 higher up than say a true subwoofer and closer to the Full Range driver?

Depends how low you XO. When we started with these the bass driver was at the floor. But with the 333 HZ XO there was definite ripple issues that went away when we flipped the woofer cabinet.

With the 100 Hz XO of the FonkenPrime the SDX7 are at the floor. In the 2.1 system (150 Hz XO) the woofer is on the floor.

Is the brace between the side panels from top to bottom and the driver butts up against it?

Not in Tysen. There is a block behind the magnet that does couple it to the opposite panel.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
901Fixer said:
Would it be safe to assume that two SDX7's, Push-Push in a 34 liter sealed box would be just fantastic? How close can the back of the magnets be to each other or is there a minimum spacer size between them that is desirable?

Yes... even less would be OK, just adjust the system Q with damping. Our next doubles will probably be 25 litres or so.

The SDX7 vents out the back and you have to be careful not to cover up the vents.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.