JBL 4530 speaker replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope I'm posting in the right place, and I looked around for a similar thread with no luck. If I'm posting in the wrong spot, chalk it up for the New-be and please direct me to the right spot and procedure. Thanks.
I have a pair of JBL 4530's in my old small/med club, live sound set-up. They are on the bottom of a 3 way system, with horn loaded 10's on top, with 1" exit horns on top of those. Crossed over at 250 and 2. (one each per side) 800 watts/4 ohms to pair of bottoms, 800watts/4 ohms to pair of mids, 200 watts/8 ohms to each HF driver
The 4530's are now loaded with old Gauss speakers that used to sound great, but have just about had it. (won't go into that) I had an old Altec speaker re coned with little satisfaction not to long ago, so I'm afraid to have these old Gauss re coned.
I contacted Eminence for a replacement recommendation, and they recommended the, Kappa LFA. I'm not complaining about the price, cause as a full time musician, money's tight. But I thought I'd be spending a little more than 130.00. (a re cone job is more than that)
Does anyone have experience with these drivers, or can you recommend something better?

Some second hand JBL 2226's ?
Hi folks!

I have a few pairs of 4530 (single woofer), I advise you to use a genuine JBL E140 or JBL K140 to fill the 4530. the 2226 is not designed for a horn baffle design but for a Bass-Reflex enclosure design!

those 2 speakers have 3db's more than the 2226! 3 db's means twoo times the power of the amplifier!

a 500w speaker with a noise of 97 db with a xxx amp 2x500 will sound that loudly

a 250w speaker with a noise of 100 db with a xxx amp 2x250w will sound the same than the firts example but will consume 2 times less power for the same level of noise!

Meanwhile, all the three stuffs are very rare nowadays. you can aslo try the P.audio 2226 (p.audio is an american brand but is situated in Thailand. Amar BOSE took a place in some speakers design at P.audio google it: p.audio thailand). there is an another equivalent/ Beyma 15gt 400.

good luck

Bogland

Reviving an old thread.

The 4530s were designed to house 2205 drivers but most were fitted with 2225 in the 1980. Same driver, higher power handling. 2225 baskets are available for $25 a pop, while you can fit quality non-original recone kits for $80 (Check McKenzie).

I would not fit a e140 as it is a guitar driver. Way to much midrange.
And because the 4530 are great as kick bins but are a bit lean down low, then I also suggest to complement them with a pair of bass reflex subs. try to find some 18" 2240h or 2241h (or 2242h if you are rich) and build your own subs.

Two kicks bins + two sub bins will nicely fill your small club.

Probably most of the later 4520's and 4530's are filled with 2226 original and they do perform nicely. There's more to it than a few speaker parameters that indicate on first sight that the speaker would be less suitable for a certain purpose. T/S parameters of a 2225 and 2226 are VERY close by the way and out of the 2226 spec sheet : "The 2226H/J can directly retrofit the 2225H/J transducer without enclosure re-tuning while providing up to 4 dB more maximum acoustic output with lower levels of distortion".
I've seen a lot of the older cabinets with 2205's and later 2225's, never with E140 or E145, the E's and sometimes 2220 were often mounted in 4560. The 4550's should have had the E145, but that I have never verified in person.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.