4th Order Bandpass needs checking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, want to make a small 4th Order Bandpass box using 2 6 "ers I got lying around. I downloaded the latest WinLsd and installed my drive T/S parameters. I played with it for a while and would like to know if my design is okay? One cavity is ported, one cavity at 2L and the other 4L, which cavity holds the port? What port frequency can I choose?

Thank you

Mikee55:)

Attachments

• audax 4th bpass.zip
    637 bytes · Views: 55
WinLsd not working????

Hello GM, I had no trouble opening it, but I can't CTRL PrtScn and paste it in Paint, like I normaly do.

So I've botched it. I must say I didn't notice the port length and didn't want it tuned to 35hz!!

Obviuosly, my tuning is wrong, but is the cavity sizes okay? Maybe tune nearer 61hz?

Thanks for helping.

Attachments

• audax.jpg
    audax.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 282

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

For my records, what brand/model driver is this and are specs published or measured?

FWIW, I'm very pleased with the free demo version of SnagIt 5.0 for copying active windows or just a portion of one without having to mess with using Paint/whatever to crop them.

Anyway, assuming a maximally flat response is desired, then tuning to Fs requires an IB rear chamber (> 10* Vas) and no, these Vbs are only good for a narrow BW up in the mid-bass/lower mids. Unibox seems a better freeware choice for designing these. For example:

Vbr = 14.5 L
Vbf = 1.78 L
dport = 6 cm
lport = 28.86 cm

Tuned to 120 Hz, it runs out of Xmax around 78 Hz, so a lower tuning/wider BW/bigger box is required to offset this at the expense of broadband system efficiency....... :(

GM

Attachments

• 4th order bp - mikee55.gif
    4th order bp - mikee55.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 275
Hello GM

Thankyou for replying.

Its an Audax HT170FO 6" Fibreglass driver. Basicaly, I used it as a Guinnea pig with richie00boy and measured the T/S with his help.
I have 2 such units, and would like to build an Isobaric 4th order bandpass, to use in my people carrier. I was thinking small box, resonable spl because, I have a small amp to power it. I'm seeking a quality bass to help with the vehicles built in full range drivers.
I got the idea from here
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/projects/home/uglito/homepage.htm

Will look at Unibox

Thank you

Regards

Mikee55
:)

GM

Joined 2003
You're welcome!

Hmm, OK, since a different tuning is usually required for vehicles due to their cabin gain and factoring in what will be a tiny front/rear Vb due to isobaric loading, the vent will be a significant fraction of total Vb.

GM

GM

Joined 2003
Hmm, don't know if there's a HELP file.........

Anyway, when you change the 'drive unit parameters' box and hit 'enter', the other driver variables are updated, but you still have to design each box type you're interested in. If you want to save your driver, then click 'save' in the 'design data base' box. If you want to use an existing driver, then scroll down to find it, click on it and the SS is updated.

Having just DL'd it the other day to respond to anothers Qs, I'm not completely versed in the use of this SS, but the rest of the fields/options appears to be self explanatory with prompts for minimum port diameter, though it's based on a higher vent mach than I prefer and even if you totally screw it up somehow you can reset all the defaults in the 'constants' box. If you change/screw up the driver specs, then just click 'reload' in the 'design data base' box.

GM

No joy

Hello GM, I open the zip file, click on the xls and Openoffice opens up its spreadsheet program. If I hover on the default driver, it offers me to type a new name to start a new project. I change the T/S as far as I can, then nothing. I didn't download a data base because I was using my own measurements???
Which are

Re =6.7 ohms
Fs =61hz
zmax =39.9
sd =0.14
Vas =14.53814
Qms =2.6254
Qes =0.5298
Qts =0.4409
Power 50 w
Spl 90dB

I must be missing somthing?

Regards

Still can't open it with Winzip. Regardless, when I add a name and basic T/S specs, it's changing the data in the 'Parameters of Single Unit' on the 'fly', then I save it using the 'Design Data Base' box. Maybe without the data base loaded it can't complete all the rest of the fields that work in the background and/or maybe it has macro issues with Open Office as it did when I tried V3 in Excel 97 along time ago.

GM

Not being very computer literate, I've no clue other than I get 'runtime' errors sometimes when I use old DOS based programs such as BoxPlot on XP Pro and it's my understanding that they won't run at all on Vista, so what operating system are you running?

GM

Greets!

'Aces n' eights' with me, but the sun's shining on a clear day after a rare fast moving snow storm 'washed' the atmosphere ~clean till the polution/pollen mess it up again, so another day in paradise here! Hope all is well at your end.

OK, HR works fine in SP2 for me (I'm holding off on 'upgrading' to SP3 until I have to due to some folk's problems with it), so if you copied all the data correctly to make your master, then best to ask DMB about any HR error messages, etc. that may be associated with SP3 or Linux.

Regardless, out of curiosity/fairness I compared HR, Unibox, WinISD and WinISD Pro 0.50a7 as it's been years since I looked at the latter three and once I got the various losses to ~match HR's theoretical ideal, they all gave essentially the same data except for the two WinISD programs calcing a marginally longer vent length for a given response. Unfortunately, their auto calc'd BP T/S max flat alignments appear to all be different, with the ancient BoxPlot 3.07 being the most accurate of the bunch to an actual measured design, so is what I used to manually change the others to for comparison.

Comparing them to the measured 'accurate enough'/relatively expensive LspCad though, the vent calc is shorter, enough to lower tuning several Hz to maintain the same response, so in theory the vent needs fine tuning when using the various freeware. In the <100 Hz BW though, you may/may not be able to hear any change due to our falling hearing acuity and typical room dominance, especially if done after the XO is dialed in, yet long term you will probably hear a subjectively better sound if optimized via measurements.

Anyway, all things considered, it appears that if you can't make Unibox work, then since HR requires either a lot of trial n' error inputs or a math model/program to get you in the 'ballpark', I guess I'll 'eat my words' to some extent and recommend using WinISD Pro to design with if it will work for you and just use HR to see if there's any need for fine tuning within its limits, though regardless of which program you use I recommend adding some series resistance to mimic VC heating before designing the target response, especially with 'sub' and/or BP alignments.

WRT using WinISD Pro, to me it's all self explanatory, though a bit aggravating in some ways, so beyond pointing out that highlighting a Vb, etc. design box and using the keyboard up/down arrow keys to auto scroll while watching the response in real time, you'll have to ask specific Qs about any other 'problems' you may have.

I also recommend using a ~5% vent mach limit (~17 m/sec) for vented alignments, though a higher one in the 20s up to ~10% (~34 m/sec) may be OK for vehicle apps due to them having a generally higher ambient noise ('floor') and its rolled off HF due to compression is acceptable.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.