Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2009, 11:07 AM   #1
FSHZ:42 is offline FSHZ:42  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help needed with Unibox

I recently downloaded the unibox program to use for designing a sub-woofer/passive radiator set-up. Maybe perhaps a mentor that could help me choose the correct driver/radiator for building a pair of subwoofers. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Emile
Old 25th February 2009, 12:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I Almost forgot, I would like to use an 8" driver with a passive radiator along with a subwoofer amp.

Thanks Again!

Emile
Old 25th February 2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

You could post this in Subwoofers, people would be glad to help.

You might want to define environment, size, and performance requirements as well as budget and associated equipment and then people could make driver suggestions.

There aren't a lot of 8" subwoofers out there - one I know of is made by Tangband W8... is the model number, IIRC.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

OK, Thanks Ron! I wasn't really sure where to post this. Just had a few questions on the program. I guess it will be ok to repost this in the subwoofer section???

Thanks,

Emile
Old 2nd March 2009, 04:39 AM   #5
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Dayton makes both at parts express, or PE as most call them. There are a few others if you search around, but dayton stuff seems to be pretty good for the cost. They also have some projects all planned out for their products including subs, but not sure what size. They have plate amps too. It really depends on your budget with this kind of stuff. Madisound also carries some drivers.
Old 2nd March 2009, 01:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi jol50, Thanks for the info, but it's not where I can purchase the drivers at this point, but rather designing the proper box using the unibox program. I would like someone to explain or answer some question I have pertaining to the program. Do you use or have knowledge of the unibox program?

Thanks,

Emile
Old 2nd March 2009, 02:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I use winISD. I get the specs of prospective drivers and plug them in, model what I want, pick the best one and verify power handling/quality/etc to meet my needs and I'm all done. PE lists the specs of every driver they sell, or every one I've looked at. A lot of cheap car subs do not list them, in fact PE sells some pyramid subs where they (PE) measured the specs and list them I'm pretty sure. Nobody else lists them. PE sells the equipment to measure them. I'm not selling PE, just that there are not that many places that sell the PRs...I don't care what you buy. PE makes an effort like other bare driver sellers to show specs for DIY boxes.

If this is a car sub I would recommend if you can run a sub in the car to find out what frequencies are weak strong, this will help you to find a response curve that fits your vehicle better. ie: if you need more 30Hz than the test sub, (model the test sub and ) make sure your new sub shows more db at 30Hz. If it is for HT then you want a flatter/lower curve than a car. I would search up some info on that first to determine the response that is going to work well for you, unless you are familiar with that stuff. Note a port or PR does unload under its tuned frequency, if you tune it higher you should run a subsonic filter near tuning...if you are anywhere close to its max power handling.
Old 2nd March 2009, 03:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have the WT3 that I use to measure the parameters. The 8" that I am trying to design will be for audio/h/t. I was told that the unibox was just as good as the LspCad, except the unibox is a freeware.
Old 2nd March 2009, 04:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have another program I used a few times, it can take more variables like cabin/room gain/stuffing and such. I'll try to find it and see what it is. You might find those kinds of features more useful if you can measure things, I just adjust the box by ear if I must.
Old 2nd March 2009, 05:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for trying to help! I reall do appreciate it! It's just a little difficult sometimes to learn about a program such as unibox, especially when they don't have a good manual/guide. I really can't complain as this is freeware. Just let me know if you find something I could use.

Thanks again,

Emile

Hide this!Advertise here!