New fold for Volvotreter's 38 Hz TH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Volvotreter has documented three Tapped Horn designs. I liked his 38 Hz version using the 6.5 inch Tang Band, but I prefer a
different fold. Here is a scale drawing of my fold. It's 8.75 x 17.25 x 25 inches using 16mm wood.

http://www.volvotreter.de/

Attachments

• volvo.gif
    volvo.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,831
Volvotreter's version used 19mm MDF and bracing. I thought I might regret using 16mm (5/8ths). The good 1/2 in ply is really 12mm (0.472) and is not rigid enough.

I am a little anal about accuracy in folding, but even I must admit that changing the thickness from 16mm to 12mm wouldn't make a measureable difference (except
for the shaking and buzzing that the thinner material would display).

Recently I added a double folded version of the 38Hz TH which is similar to Don's version (which I like :up: :up: ).

I suggest to use 19mm MDF with braces. Even then you can feel slight vibrations when pushing hard. 1/2" will definetly be too weak.

A removable side panel would be sexy in order to check the influence of damping material attached to the walls on the response >100Hz.

Regards.

Erik

Volvotreter said:
Recently I added a double folded version of the 38Hz TH which is similar to Don's version (which I like :up: :up: ).

I suggest to use 19mm MDF with braces. Even then you can feel slight vibrations when pushing hard. 1/2" will definetly be too weak.

A removable side panel would be sexy in order to check the influence of damping material attached to the walls on the response >100Hz.

Regards.

Erik

Tangband_38Hz_doublefold_klein.jpg

Nice work Erik! What audible difference did you hear once you installed the 4.7mH coils? Have you been turning any more tractrix horns? I hope is well for you.

Rgs, JLH

Erik, you do good work!

I took a quick look at your website, but didn't page down enough to see the new double fold. Did it sound identical to the single
fold? Where did you place the inductor? I have built two large cabinets, one for the 3015LF and one for the Lab12. I think it's
about time I built a smaller one.

I'm using a pair of Erik's single fold Tangbangs with the inductor. I love these speakers. Very small footprint and they blend extremely well with my JLH designed mid bass horns. I tried with and without the inductor and I hear what sounds like a better damped, controlled bottom end with the iron in series. They are driven with an older Van Alstine ss amp at 100 w/chan and active crossover. For the price of the wood and drivers, this was a cheap, fun project and a huge success. I can't believe the ouput I'm getting from these puny drivers!

I also have a 12" Eminence driver ready for a larger TH project but it has to wait until after baseball season.

Thanks Erik and JLH!

Jim D.

Jimmy D. said:
I'm using a pair of Erik's single fold Tangbangs with the inductor. I love these speakers. Very small footprint and they blend extremely well with my JLH designed mid bass horns. I tried with and without the inductor and I hear what sounds like a better damped, controlled bottom end with the iron in series. They are driven with an older Van Alstine ss amp at 100 w/chan and active crossover. For the price of the wood and drivers, this was a cheap, fun project and a huge success. I can't believe the ouput I'm getting from these puny drivers!

I also have a 12" Eminence driver ready for a larger TH project but it has to wait until after baseball season.

Thanks Erik and JLH!

Jim D.

Hi Jim,

If Erik hears the same thing that you reported with the inductor in place, then that makes three of us. :cool: I too hear the same things as you. As long as the inductor is low DCR, kept away from the woofer magnet, and is good quality it works very well. Good to hear from you again.

Rgs, JLH

How about 50-150Hz

I really like Volvotreater's designs... they look like something I can actually do with my carpentry skills.

Are there TH's designs that perform best in the 50-150Hz range?

I have a four part problem:
1) 4x18" IB that sounds great
2) 7.1 hometheater system that is great for HT, so-so for music
3) two kids getting ready for college, and not much $$
4) a love of building speakers and learning something while I'm doing it.

A TH that goes from 40-150Hz would be perfect (on axis with mains). I have an active xo. However, non-TH's typically require way more carpentry skills than I have. However, most TH's seem to drop off steeply/erratic performance above 100Hz... is this an inherent limitation to TH's, or just that most people are not trying to fill the same void as I am?

Thanks,
Steve

So, which is it, 40 or 50 Hz? How big can it be?

Regardless, the HF 'hash' isn't nearly as bad as predicted and it can be further flattened with damping same as any other vented alignment as long as it's not the twin peaks that require band stop filters and of course the XO's effect on it.

Anyway, here's the popular MCM 55-2521 (John-Pat? measured) in ~36.5 L net/240 W/2pi space, exceeds Xmax around 26 Hz, though being a very high compression ratio (CR) alignment it may be suffer some thermal power compression if there's a sustained note down low at high SPL...........

GM

Attachments

• mcm 55-2421 (measured 2) 38 hz conic th.gif
    mcm 55-2421 (measured 2) 38 hz conic th.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,492
@rolandong
You'll find it here (scroll all the way down).
The plans are in the download section of my site.

@JLH, Jimmy D.
my findings correlate with yours: The coils make the TH sound
more ballanced. Too bad that I'm not so experienced with
mesuring. But my intention is to make up for that in spring when
it's getting warmer. I want to compare the single vs. the double
fold. Just from listening I'd say there is an advantage in
attentuation in the range above 100Hz for the double folded
version.

@saddlesore
Some wide bandwidth TH I'd be interested in is this one.

It should also be quite easy to build. If somebody is interested in
giving it a try, I would make a plan for it. Just let me know.

regards.

Erik

th-higher bandwidth

Erik - thank you. Yes, I would be very interested in building these. The B&C drivers are out of my price range ($300/driver). Is there an 8" or 10" lower cost driver that could be used in a similar design? Although 132dB/1000w would be "Ferrari/Danley", something in the $150/driver range fits better.

Thanks again,
Steve

GM/Erik - If someone has already developed a version of Bill Cowan's Sub Horn Jr. with an 8" MCM sub - it may be a perfect solution (on a performance and price basis).

GM - if I go down to 40, I could listen to music without my IB. Four 18" drivers in a crawlspace below half our house makes music listening an all-family event - even when most prefer not to listen to music. However, I would sure like to see what others have done to fill the 40-150 and 50-150Hz ranges.

The TH simple design is still preferred (butt jointed MDF). However, I could build Bill Cowan's Sub Horn Jr. with a little extra patients. In fact, two Sub Horn Jr.'s with one 8" MCM in each cabinet would probably be perfect from an SPL perspective... However, two 8"er's in each cab would be worth an additional $200 (drivers and amp).

Thanks again for your patience,
Steve

@Guiness
it is possible, but I think the 12TBX100 more likes shorter TH's:

12TBX1000_20Hz_para.JPG

12TBX1000_20Hz_spl.JPG

Does'nt look too good? It also required a high compression in order to have a smooth response. I think it's not a good idea.

@saddlesore
may be take a look at the often recommended 18sound:

10MB600_50Hz_para.JPG

10MB600_50Hz_spl.JPG

may be with some foam or bating in the line it could work out quite nice?

regards.

Erik

saddlesore said:

GM - if I go down to 40, I could listen to music without my IB. However, two 8"er's in each cab would be worth an additional $200 (drivers and amp). The TH simple design is still preferred (butt jointed MDF).

However, I would sure like to see what others have done to fill the 40-150 and 50-150Hz ranges.

OK, I've already shown you one that's close to 40 Hz, though it can be extended to go lower with an increase in size. For dual drivers (series wired) in one cab, the net Vb will double and if you double the power it will be +6 dB for a given excursion. If you build two cabs and wire them in stereo you will gain up to +3 dB and if wired in mono up to +6 dB if there's enough power available, though your placement options are fairly limited with the latter due to the relatively high XO point to the mains.

This BW is more a prosound than HIFI/HT one, so probably not many posted designs for the bass/mid-bass range, but you can use the thread search function to find them in the 'Collaborative.....etc., threads. If you decide either of these suits you, give me a jingle.

GM

i absolutely LOVE the double folded 38hz design. a pair would absolutely fit perfectly in the back of my living room. (the greatest thing is the total package of it.) however I was wondering what an 8 inch sub version would be in size. like the TB w8-1363. i'm thinking this little bit of extra driver would extend a bit lower than the 6.5 inch, and still maintain a wonderfully small package, yet yield a lower low to 30hz or just under mabye?. thoughts? it's the double fold package that i can actually hide that i really like.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.