610 project------HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have always been known as one who has to make my own mistakes to learn. This might be one of those mistakes.......

I wanted an 810 originally, but my head (a Traynor YBA200) doesn't quite have enough juice and I thought I would try an alternative before I bought something more powerful (or maybe just a second YBA200). I came to the conclusion that a 610 would work. I need some info first:

1. How should they be wired?

The only way I can figure it, I will end up with either 10.66 or 5.33 ohms Re (run in parallel/series with 8 or 16 ohm speakers). If that is correct, should I set my head for 4 or 8 ohms?

2. Does cabinet volume differ by only the size of the speaker, or does it vary by rating or even brand?

Will the speakers (I am buying them new) have this info with them?

3. Should the cabinet have internal baffles or just a strategic brace here and there?

I have seen both ways on the internet and I am not sure......

4. Should I even bother trying to port the cabinet?

I have read story after story about what a tedious project it can be. Is there an easy way to figure it out?

Even with all of the searching I have done on the internet I can't come up with a solid answer to form a plan. Maybe I should have started here! This might be a stupid project for someone of my skill to undertake, but everyone has to start somewhere, right?

This forum is mostly Prosound and HiFi, people who want a speaker to put out a signal
that is exactly like the signal they put in. As a bass player, you are used to hearing
a very "colored" sound, sound that is not even close to the signal you put in. Bass
Guitar speakers are built, then tweeked and changed until they sound "good," whatever
that means. Low E is 41 Hz, but NOBODY builds bass cabinets that can put out 41 Hz. Few
bass cabinets have an F3 ( frequency at 1/2 power ) as low as 60 Hz.

Also, the sound the audience hears is usually very different from the sound the musician
hears (nearfield / farfield).

Rolling your own can be fun, but you're not going to come close to the big boys. Do yourself
a favor and visit your local music store.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.