HELP! connecting subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone. Just a niewbie question:
I got a hold of a Mac-Audio Compact 220 car subwoofer and was wondering How I could connect it to my home setup to compensate for the Fostex BLH lack of bass.
Here is a foto of it´s panel, I supose I need a 12V transformer (already got one) but from there I am lost...
My McIntosch 6100 integrated amplifier has double speaker out, any way I could use that?
Thanks all for your help
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

depends...

if your intigrated amp has a pre out you would simply connect that pre out to the low level input and attach the 12 volt supply then go. If your intigrated has a pre out and in with solid jumpers inserted into the RCA plugs you will need a set of signal splitters that have two male and one female RCA's and then interconnects to permit connection to the sub low level input. If your intrigated amp has no pre output then run a set of speaker cables from the amp to the sub as well as to your speakers. That should get you going. See if you can find a local friend that knows their audio who can help you set this up and make sure everything is AOK.

Hi Moray!
How's things?

My guess would be that the low level input (RCA) is a line level input. The high level (square 4pin) allows connection to the amp out (speaker cables) - you would use one or the other.

The gnd and +12 are power supplies

That leaves the remote line which must be connected either to gnd or +12V to turn on the subwoofer. It's not clear which is on but my guess would be +12V = on.

Is there a frequency & level adjustment anywhere?

so to make things even more simple here are some basic connection schematics:
CURRENT connection
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

you may copy this following image and draw on it:

I suspect from what both of you were saying i have to take out the jumpers connecting pre with power amp and connect from pre to sub IN and sub OUT to power amp. Then I suppose I can control phase etc. through the panel until desired sound mixture is achieved right?
this is the back panel of the subwoofer:

close....

Iain good to hear from you things are good I hope also with you.
With regards to this sub set up. Get two inexpensive "Y" splitters that have two male RCA's and one female RCA each. These two splitters will replace the two solid jumpers on the amplifier while at the same time providing you with a pre out (the female RCA's). Get a pair of male to male RCA interconnects long enough to extend to the sub. Now you have pre out signal driving your sub. This is how I would set up your sub. You can do it other ways but this is my first choice. Why don't you start with this set up and then if you feel the need experiment from there.

Yes, things are going great - and thanks for finally letting some of your rain come down south:D - 6" and it's still coming down - we'll be able to bathe this summer at this rate:D

Gorfeas,
You have so many options here. Personally, I don't have any splitters here but I do have lots of RCA-RCA cords. So I would do it a different way, not to say that Moray's way isn't valid. I would route the pre-out to power-in jumpers through the "low level input/output" connections on your sub box. (pre-out to low-level-in, low-level-out to power-in)

Yet another way would be to connect your B speaker outs to the "high level input" on your sub box. This has the benefit of allowing A-B testing with vs without the subwoofer by selecting the B-speaker switch.

One final comment - you show 12V DC coming out of your mains transformer - a simplified view I assume, as you need a rectifier. But you'll have to connect the remote switch pin to either gnd or +12V to turn on the sub box. I'm pretty sure if you leave it floating, it'll default to off. Judging by the 20A fuse, you'll need a pretty beefy 12V supply!

thanx for the suggestions guys.
One logical (?) question:
in case I connect through the high level input, running the 4 wires strait from the ma-6100 b speakers output, would I still need to power the subwoofer? wouldn't my amp drive it directly?
would the gain/low pass/phase pots still function? or am I getting carried away here?
Today ried to conect to a simple wall socket 12V dc tranforer and nothing... maybe I got the polarity wrong?
It's always the black wire with white stripes the + correct?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.