Seeking comments regarding dedicated dual subwoofer use with main speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to know if any of you use a dedicated subwoofer with your main speakers (front L and R) and what your comments are on the following configs.:

1. L and R subwoofers with full range L and R front speakers.

2. L and R subwoofers with front L and R speakers which have limited bass extension.

In case 1, are there problems to contend with since there will be some bass overlap from the subwoofers and the front speakers? Is it "best" to run the full range signal into the subwoofers where they are LPF for the subs and HPF out to the main speakers?

3. Another possibility is to use the second set of full range outputs from the main amplifier (intended for biwiring the fronts) and route the signal to the subwoofer inputs. In this case, is there a way to alleviate the need for a separate subwoofer amp. while still being able to adjust the phase and LPF filters at the high signal levels feeding the sub.? In this case, I would be feeding the sub. with the set of bi-wired outputs from my main amp. (Carver Lightstar) so there should be plenty of power for the subs. Any comments on this?

I'm looking to undergo a DIY project which will involve 2 subwoofers and a pair of L and R front speakers. Primary interest is music listening, not home theatre. I'd like your hear your comments on this. Thanks.

-UJ

1. i thought you are an audio enginneer. you should be providing the answers :) not the questions

2. i use dual subs (2x12" each) with full range speakers (6" MTM from SS)

After building the above I exprimented with a lot of combinations
1. 12 and 24db active XOs feeding 2 power amps
2. rolling of the subs only and using 1 power amp
3. 6db passive XO using 2 power amps

i find that for my use the 3rd comination workled best. all i needed was 2 caps. the input resistance of the amp was the R in the RC ckt.

it helped that my preamp and power amps are home made.

Interesting questions UncleJessie! I am seeking same answers myself.

Below is my idea and project - if anyone cares to comment it is appreciated..

1) A pair of fullrange speakers, Fostex 168S in 5L sealed cabinettes as main speakers. Natural rollover is around 160Hz

2) L & R Subwoofers just under main speakers.

The Fullranger is connected directly to the ss amplifier (Linn Classik)

To keep budget low I am thinking of following arrangements for the Subs (actually woofers because of high XO)

-AA- Element: Peerless SLS315
http://www.d-s-t.com/peerless/index.htm
I will put them into sealed cabinettes around 120L

With the variable XO of the active filter (below) I hope to get the flexibility to adjust LP XO for sub/woofer fitting to the natural rollof of main speaker and room gain (say 130-150Hz).

-BB- Active LP XO 24dB/Okt
Behringer CX2310
http://www.crmav.com/11/cx2310_super_x_2_way_stereo_3_way_mono_freque.shtml

-CC- Poweramplifier:
"Some suitable Poweramplifier" I can find 2:nd hand. which will be connected between the the Subs and the Behringer filter

Do you see any drawbacks on above arrangements in terms of XO filter, Elementselection, configurations and so on..

I am sorry for taking space on your thread UncleJessie, but since our questions are similar I hope it is OK.

Best regards
LageB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.