21" Active subwoofer project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Sorry I answered the same twice, must have been my bedtime :eek:

I have looked at those big PD woofers several time, calculated over and over again, and really dont see what it is they are supposed to do better than other woofers, apart from SPL and powerhandling

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
It has been mentioned that TonyGee use a PD woofer with similar specs

To my limited knowledge about TonyGee I would say that what he consider a very nice bass, many would rate as no bass at all :Pinoc:
Please, I dont say he is wrong though, its a matter of personal taste :eek:

tinitus said:
It has been mentioned that TonyGee use a PD woofer with similar specs

To my limited knowledge about TonyGee I would say that what he consider a very nice bass, many would rate as no bass at all :Pinoc:
Please, I dont say he is wrong though, its a matter of personal taste :eek:

Sure you got that right that is personal taste and preferences what counts. I think he have good theory and i like what he is done in practice to support it.
Will see, and hear :)

I agree here tinitus. IMO the main reason to use woofers like this is to achieve extreme SPLs and to be able to use massive amounts of power. After all, thats really what theyre designed for.
In the same sized box they dont achieve anything a smaller woofer couldnt

The only thing I can think of is that they will have a much smaller excursion for a given SPL, which in turn could lead to lower distortion

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Thank you my friend :)

I may look like a negative fool, only making trouble, but thats certainly my intention, on the contrary

I myself have actually been very interested in these monster woofers from Precision Devices, and no doubt I would love to own a pair

But in all my calculations done over and over again, just to give it the slightest chance, I was never able to make it do anything that almost any other 18" pro woofer couldnt do, with appropriate specs, and at half the price

Sure, paper and reality is different, but specs doesnt lie either
Any design holds a set of compromises, and its important to find out excactly what they are, to be able to chose the best design fore the purpos

No doubt that such 21" will have exstreme impact in BR, and if thats all one wants, then ok, but fore quality home hifi subbas I believe there must be better options, somewhere

But again, 40hz at 99db surely must sound very impressive, and could be really fun, but its just not what I rate as home hifi subbas

Lately I have become very interested in tapped horns

But the big one, I hope to do in the future, holds an 18" integrated pro woofer in closed box with a bit of EQ...so no, Im no better :clown:

These woofers wond do 40Hz in @ 99dB 1W full stop. The 99dB rating is in the upper bass around80-100Hz. In at sealed box Q 0.7 they do 85dB @1W @ 40Hz and I think this illustrates the point perfectly

As you say in an appropriate BR they will do -3dB @ 40Hz (which isnt very low considering the size of the woofer) but this is a kind of EBS alignment and means high group delay which isnt great. It also means you need a 200L box rather than 50L you can use sealed.

So we're back in circles, its the big box that gives the efficiency not the driver size!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.