Running a passive sub with main speakers off an integrated amp! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2009, 01:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Running a passive sub with main speakers off an integrated amp!

A quick question, Is it possible to run a passive subwoofer inline with main speakers off an integrated amp?

Wiring options:

1, Connect to left or right channel?

2, connect left channel to + and right channel to -?

3, connect to sub second speaker output channel?

4 Do any of the above and kill the amp or speakers?

The amp in question is the Kenwood KA-5020 looped with 12 band EQ.

Thanks
Old 27th January 2009, 04:20 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The subwoofer must be matched to the main speakers and include
the necessary crossover which filters the sub and may or may not
filter bass to the main speakers.
All in all a subwoofer plate amplifier is more flexible.

/sreten.
Old 27th January 2009, 06:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sreten
Hi,

The subwoofer must be matched to the main speakers and include
the necessary crossover which filters the sub and may or may not
filter bass to the main speakers.
All in all a subwoofer plate amplifier is more flexible.

/sreten.
Any high frequency coming from the amp will be filtered by the sub x-over before it hits the sub coil!
Old 27th January 2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The caps and coils needed for a sub XO are about the same price as buying a plate amp. The plate amp also allows you to match the level and cut off point of the main speakers. Passive subs XO's are a thing of the past.
Old 28th January 2009, 12:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default sub woff

Hi there: I tried this several years ago, and I was never happy with the result. I removed the passive crossover, bought an electronic crossover, which provides a low hz amp output and a mid/hi hz amp output, allowing biamping a two way system, where most of the music is played by the "main speakers". THe old sub speaker/enclosure still serves in the biamped system. The integrated amp provides the signal to the low hz speaker, with level adjust to my taste. The master gain on a preamp serves the whole system, I normally run the system flat and seldom use tone controls. I've noted subtle bass passages in some classical cd's which were missing previously. as well as room filling bass in other compositions (classical) and enjoy modern jazz and classic jazz.
Old 28th January 2009, 02:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Depending on the impedance of the sub, your option of running subs as the "B" speakers on your integrated amp is probably the best, though it is not without compromises. You will still want to eliminate the high frequencies from the subs and you may want to limit the lows to the main speakers. This requires crossovers.

As stated above, passive crossovers make no sense for subwoofers. One could easily spend more on a pair of quality inductors and capacitors than a decent plate amplifier costs. Budget caps and coils may get the job done for less, but will only provide a 6 dB/octave crossover which really won't do much to protect the main speakers from excessive excursion (or cross the high frequencies from the subs). Higher order crossovers = more parts, which = more money.

Years ago, I used active automotive crossovers and additional receivers to integrate subs into my systems. This worked, but was not all that cheap, all things considered. I use plate amps now. Many of these amps will accept speaker-level inputs, making integration with your system quite easy.

Among the other great stuff on his site, Jack Hidley sells 115 Watt Foster subwoofer amps for $50 plus shipping. The site indicates he will ship internationally, though costs may be prohibitive.

http://home.comcast.net/~jhidley/

Hide this!Advertise here!