Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2009, 01:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help with folded horn auto sub

hey guys i have a tube 30 folded horn for djing and it sounds great!! so i have decided to build a an auto tuba. (designs from billfitzmaurice) my only delema is i ahve a eminence s2010 10" woofer which is just lieing around and i want to put in the auto tuba. but the t&s specs on the driver is way to large compared the suggested t&s specs.

so my question is what would happen if i put that driver in the auto tuba? view auto tuba.. www.billfitzmaurice.net

cheers
Old 24th January 2009, 04:50 AM   #2
HK26147 is offline HK26147  United States
diyAudio Member

Saw your post over there...
I don't think it's a good idea; As you noted the T/S parms are very different from the drivers normally used in the auto tuba.

I don't know if anyone has created any horns using the S2010?
Old 24th January 2009, 11:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

ye but its a 16" tuba 30... i had it in on e of those befor.. um.... well since its pro audio n i just have it lieing around would it be suited for a bandpass? or something?? or for what i want, extremeley loud bass that shakes the car n peoples bones:P (teen agers car) would it just be better to buy a 12" sub n make a ported or banpass box??
Old 24th January 2009, 04:21 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HK26147

I don't know if anyone has created any horns using the S2010?
Just a few sims. Of the ones I tried, best overall is a Tractrix.

GM
Old 25th January 2009, 12:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I looked at some of the various alignments for the 2010.
None give ( what I consider ) suitable low end performance to be called a subwoofer.
In the BF horn designs that use them, the low end performance is optimized for live performance ( 50Hz and up ).

I have noticed that some car sound guys, will build a small sealed box with a large woofer in it, tuned to give a slow F3 rolloff ( approx 60 - 80 ) and let the "cabin gain" from a car fill in the bottom octaves.
Others take different approaches.

You could make on of the smallest BF T39's ( If it would fit ).

I personally would NOT base a car sub around this 10.
Even though it is used in the smaller BF horns, Eminence's primary market for the S2010 is for 2 & 4 ( 10 ) bass guitar cabs.
Old 26th January 2009, 01:34 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

ok awesome... well then here comes the big question :P what should i put in it?? im obviously going to look at buying a 12 inch woofer but my only real decision i have to make is what woofer ( im sur i could decide) and weather i should make it ported or bandpass(dats were i neeed your help),, so what u guys think ported or bandpass 12"...... must be louder than my sisters 1000 watt 12" ported jbl!!

cheers guys
Old 26th January 2009, 03:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

So the truth comes out... It's an SPL race with your sister.
No idea how much SPL you sister's JBL provides.
I would not try to win this by brute force with a similar 12 in a BR cab.
From my experience with Bandpass Boxes: They require more precise tuning over a simply BR box. Tuning by ear is a lot more difficult and the best results would be obtained by running impedance sweeps, which most can't do.
I would take a look at what Davygrvy did with the AT ( w the HL10C).
Or what JBell did with 2 MCM 8's ( or Tang Band ) in an extended folded horn.
These designs will give you more SPL out for watt in.
Old 26th January 2009, 02:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

cool!! i still cant find these drivers in aus! killing me but ill check em out.. were can i have alook at wat those guys have done?? cheers!
Old 26th January 2009, 10:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
were can i have alook at wat those guys have done??
Both of those guys are DIYaudio forum members:
Search and PM.

You may be better off importing those drivers, rather than compromising with what you can get locally.

Can you get the Eminence HL10 in Oz?
Old 26th January 2009, 10:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: help with folded horn auto sub

Quote:
Originally posted by americanaki
hey guys i have a tube 30 folded horn for djing and it sounds great!! so i have decided to build a an auto tuba. (designs from billfitzmaurice) my only delema is i ahve a eminence s2010 10" woofer which is just lieing around and i want to put in the auto tuba. but the t&s specs on the driver is way to large compared the suggested t&s specs.

so my question is what would happen if i put that driver in the auto tuba? view auto tuba.. www.billfitzmaurice.net

cheers
I built a clone of the autotuba, and used it in my Accord for a while. It's a fun box. It gets stupid loud, and it's cheap.

The problem with using the Eminence woofer is that the SD (aka cone area) is too large.

So yeah, the 10" won't work. You'd have to make the box bigger, and it's already quite large.

IMHO, these are a few options for LOUD bass in a car:

#1 - The easiest option is to use the entire trunk as an enclosure (aka "infinite baffle.") If you go this route YOU MUST NOT use car audio woofers. Car audio woofers are optimized for small enclosures, and they trade efficiency for a small box size. If you go with an infinite baffle, you should look at prosound 12s or 15s with a high QTS value and a high VAS. A B&C 15TBX100 is a good example, but maybe overkill (it's expensive.)

#2 - If you don't go infinite baffle, just build a bandpass. It offers higher efficiency than a sealed box, and lower 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion than a vented box. If you go this route, bring a BIG amplifier, because it wont be as efficient as option 1.

I've tried horns in cars, bandpass, vented, sealed, IB, etc...

If it were my money, I'd buy the biggest amp I could afford and build a bandpass sub.

Check out some of my posts on audiogroupforum, I use the moniker "majestik6"

Hide this!Advertise here!