My new xls10+PR sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I notice movement in the Sub forum is a little slow and I haven't seen a build thread with a few pics for a while so here, for what it's worth, are a few pics of my new sub.
The amp is arriving from BKelec tomorrow, so I'll post a final pic or 2 with the amp and drivers loaded tomorrow, but here she stands ready!
Unfortunately I didn't get any pics before glueing, but thats just panels anyway!

Glued up and ready for finishing:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Edges trimmed, sanded and rounded. I left the 2 top side edges unrounded as I liked the way it looked:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Stuffing added:

Here it is after a bloody battle with a cheetah, wearing its blood soaked hide (colours arent great, theres no pink its just the light/my camera):

Holes cut in fabric:

(colours best represented in this last one)

I really like the idea of upholstering. Its certainly easier and cheaper than pretty much any other way of finishing I have tried. This fabric may be a little extreme for some, but tucked away under my desk its dark and not too obtrusive.
Final pics to follow soon (tomorrow so long as the amp does turn up)

Nice work there. Would love to see the final product after everything is installed. What are the specs on that box? I was really really close to building a sub with the XXLS and the matching PR, but I ended up with another Earthquake Supernova, so that never happened. Let us know how it comes out!

And definitely a unique fabric choice! Very cool.

Well, still no sign of the amp...

I'm not very impressed with the service from BKelec. The amp was ordered over 2 weeks ago on Monday 5th Jan. I spoke to them on the 9th when I was told it would go out "early next week" and to expect it between the 12th and the 14th. I rang them again this Monday the 19th as it still hadnt turned up and they said it was packed up ready for dispatch that afternoon and to expect it yesterday. No amp yesterday, but sometimes the couriers can take 2 days so I left it til today. I just spoke to them again to try and find a tracking number as it's getting late and things dont generally arrive after 3 or so and it turns out they never bothered to actually send it and its still sitting in their shop.
Assuming they do send it today, thats 16 days from placing the order to it being dispatched. I wasn't informed of any stock lead times or anything that could have caused the delay beyond their control. I wonder if it ever would have arrived had I not been on the phone several times chasing it up.

Hooray. Amp arrived today so here it is installed and running well.

Within half an hour of getting it running I was playing with some test tones and cranked up 25Hz a little too loud. The room shook, followed by a horrible clattering noise as the passive ran out of excursion (22mm each way), but it can certainly thump out some low bass for such a tiny sub - I'm impressed.

After my grumbles about BKelec I am now satisfied. The quality of the amp is really excellent - far better than your generic plate amp. Shame about the service, next time I'll just be sure to order a couple of weeks in advance.

Pics as promised:

I'm currently a student too, but there's nothing saying you can't keep it that way...I don't know, maybe it's that I'm too lazy to bother finishing a box, maybe it's that I just don't want to make a complete hash of it, but the last few I've built I've left as either bare MDF or plywood so certainly props to you for actually finishing the whole thing!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.