HT sub Suggestion needed for this driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GM

Joined 2003
HT requires a considerably lower Fs than 65 Hz, though a relatively large tapped horn (TH) can work down to below 30 Hz if the drivers have enough Xmax. Even then you'll need a high pass to protect it since some movies have significant output down into the teens, so I guess using WinISD or similar to find a sealed alignment is about your only 'small' option and make it as tall as the driver's size allows to minimize its footprint and accept the mid-bass F3, Fb (excluding any room/whatever help).

GM

Thanks GM,

May be I should just stick them in a smaller H-frame similar to these 12" ..

My H-Frame OB

This new project with the 10" woofers is to top up the HT subwoofer set up currently using a D-BOX david-300 daisy chain to a Polkaudio PSW505 and then daisy chain to Sony SA-W3800 in a 4.1 setup in a 900 sq ft open unfurnished basement.

They are not suited for the SONO tubes aren't they?

GM

Joined 2003
By 'sonotubes' I assume you're referring to the cardboard tube subs popularized by Hsu Research and all the rage with DIYers 10+ yrs ago. If so, then like any other bass reflex (BR) it's not going to perform any better than a floor loaded rectangular one.

GM

I am sorry GM. I wasn't clear enough about footprint. I meant square footage occupied on the ground. By using a Tube the volume occupied will be vertical. I can put these columns by the sides of the screen. It their diameter is small enough they can be hidden behind the 103" diameter diy screen. May be a flat rectangular pancake folded/tapered horn can hide behind the screen as well.

And no I do not know the Xmas. It is no where to be found in the package.

GM

Joined 2003
You have a round screen?! Or did you mean diagonal or width?

Anyway, square, round or rectangular, one dimension will be limited by the driver's frame diameter or side if it's a square frame, so this is its minimum depth if up, down or side firing and if front or rear firing its minimum depth is obviously based on the driver's total depth plus a gap for a rear vent to 'breathe' if it has one and another gap to the screen if not above or below it. Once this is determined, then height is only limited by ceiling height minus the gap required to tilt it in place and finally, width can't exceed screen width. This makes for a huge Vb capability with even a small driver. I mean two DSL 'couch' TH subs will fit behind a large screen and is only 11" deep if stood on its side: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136282

What brand/model driver is this?

GM

My bad, the 103” diagonal projection screen was made by my wife for me out of black out cloth including wooden frame cost less than 100 cdn dollar. It is free hanging 5 inches from the floor joist on the ceiling, about 3 feet off the foundation ground and one foot away from the wall which is hiding the studs and vapor barrier of the unfinished basement.

The speakers are Pyramid WH1038 10inch.
I have 3 at hand altogether but was thinking only needed 2 for the HT sub supplement idea.

Hi,

FYI, T/S data from a Swedish Retailer BRL Electronics (no more in business): see picture 1(1)

b

Attachments

• pyramid wh1038- 10inch.gif
    pyramid wh1038- 10inch.gif
    35.9 KB · Views: 107
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.