Please check this out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I was having a discussion concerning ported design and a guy claims to have designed a sealed 1.5 cu ft box with a single 12" woofer cone (27mm p-p) that can reach down to 12 Hz.

Now I don't think that 27mm is nearly enough to get anywhere close to achieve output at 12 Hz that is perceptible. The design is servo-controlled. Now correct me if I'm wrong here but don't servo's necessarily limit dynamic range as a byproduct of reducing distortion ?

I mean, in a size enclosure that small, I can't even begin to imagine how much EQ will be required.

A guy then chimed in the discussion and posted a graph on WinISD showing the Shiva driver (modified with 27mm x-max) as an argument to show that a 12" cone (with 27mm x-max) is beefy enough to achieve it.

Now I don't know about you about does that graph look correct ? Considering that it doesn't factor in room gain apparently. Tell me what you think.

Regards,

Attachments

• xmax 27mm.jpg
    xmax 27mm.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 535
Yes the design uses a servo-mechanism. My question is really two fold; how on earth can a 12" woofer even one with 27mm p-p in a 1.5 cu ft box (servo or no servo) reproduce a 12 Hz note that one can perceive ?

Second is that a member threw a graph in WinISD showing that a cone with 27mm p-p (used the Adire Shiva which is 14 mm but modified the results to reflect 27mm) can indeed reproduce down that low. Now the graph shows the cone pushing down to 10 Hz at 90 dB's and the member claims that this is done without room gain whatsoever.

So I'm really skeptical of the results. I mean, take those values and put them in a room where room gain might add 8-12 dB's to those figures and it really doesn't look right.

If a servo mechanism limits ultimate output in order to maintain exceedingly low distortion and if the box size is that small then surely the driver will need tons of EQ to shape the response down that low ?

Alright, that's 3 questions. :) Thanks.

Regards,

M50SNIPER said:
Well if you're putting 650w into it like it says I can believe that. This computer putting out 47 watts I can hear 10 hz coming out of a 5.25" driver in a bass reflex plastic enclosure.

You must be hearing harmonics. You can't hear 10Hz at all, and even if you could, a 5.25" driver will never be capable of producing appreciable spls. Think 50dB if you're lucky

89 dB's at what distance ? 1m ? 2m ? 1" from the cone ?

An Epik Conquest managed to hit 102 dB's I think at 12 Hz as reviewed by Tom Nousaine in his largish room.

So 89 dB's in a sealed box without room gain ? Add room which is what, like 8-10 dB's ? You are already at almost 100 dB's at 12 Hz.

Regards,

Something just tells me that this sub is going to struggle enormously to produce any 12 Hz output.

A 12" cone in a tiny sealed box with 500 watts of power that is servo-controlled. The designer is using a 3" voice coil. I don't know, I think first of all the amount of EQ needed to shape the response curve is going to be insane.

If I had to take a guess I would say 80 dB's maximum in a room down to 12 Hz. Keeping in mind that you need what, like closer to 100 dB's for it to be perceived ?

Does anyone know what the Fathom 13 can muster at 12 Hz ? Any measurements down that low ?

Regards,

Your correct in that 12 Hz will need more than 27mm P2P travel in a 300mm formate drive unit, if the drive unit was 500mm I could believe it but the cone area is to small to reach 102db without room gain with only 27mm travel IMHO, but I do not know the the measuring technique used and so.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.