3D Acoustics replacement sub driver - please help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the 3D Acoustics speaker 610B which is a 3-piece sat/sub system consisting of 2qty. 3D6 satellites and the 3D10B sub-woofer (passive bass module) and were purchased by me back in the early 80's (‘82?). Here is a link to the Owners Manual and reviews/brochure. The 10" sub-woofer driver, which has a paper cone, foam surround, dual voice coil and a square magnet, has gone bad. I believe the voice coil is shot as the cone sticks a little when pushing it in and makes a metal rattling noise. The foam surround is in good shape as it was replaced a few years ago. There are no manufacturers mark on the driver other than 3D10B and the number 28593 on the backside of the cone. The sub cabinet has 1.756 cubic ft internal vol. before including the driver along with a 2" dia. port.

The company was purchased by Dahlquist not long after the company got its start and still offers repair on these speakers today through www.regnar.com. They have been helpful, however the 10" DVC driver is no longer manufactured and they offer a replacement driver for $155. I have not been able to determine yet if this is really an appropriate replacement driver due to lack of details and the price is a little steep for this system.

I have seen recommendations to use the Dayton SD270-88 10" DVC subwoofer from Parts Express, but this will require modifying the opening to get it to fit. And the recommendations don’t really offer critical listening comparisons. I have also considered having a local repair shop rebuild the driver to replace the voice coil and they have said it would run $50-$60 (based on my description over the phone).

My question to this forum is, what are the best options if I want to maintain the original sound as closely as possible? My concern is due to largely the fact that the system was designed to connect to the sub first which has a passive high-pass filter (100Hz xover) with no volume controls, and so is closely matched to the satellites. If you look at the review, the speaker system has low sensitivity (83.5 dB) with the subwoofer having 4ohm impedance.

Is rebuilding a DVC speaker really feasible and does it retain the qualities of the original driver? I wouldn’t consider this for a woofer/midrange, as I believe the character of the sound is too critical in this range, is this so with a subwoofer?

Please let me know your thoughts and possible options. Thanks!

Scott

Alright, so no input. Perhaps I provided too much info or didn’t ask the question stratight forward enough, so I’ll boil it down to this one question:

Is rebuilding a dual voice coil, 10" paper cone w/ foam surround woofer really feasible, soundwise? i.e., does it retain the qualities and properties of the original driver?

Your feedback/input is appreciated. :)

Getting the voice coil replaced is your best bet...I would recommend that more than any of the other options as putting a new driver in that might have different specs is not something worth buying if the sound changes. JMO...and yes the voice coil is blown just so you know. I am pretty sure that if he puts the same kind of wire, and that it has the same impedance properties, etc. that it will sound the same to the human ear. So good luck and hope it all gets worked out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.