how to calculate resonance freq in H-baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/messages/13/139455.html

"I was expecting it to take some time to get aquainted with the way that it sounds but I knew within seconds that it was what I wanted. It's cleaner , faster and the kind of bass that usually comes from servo systems. I'm even able to drive the woofers much harder before cone break up.
My actual tuning came out to 33hz. and they sound very linear up to 400hz. Thanks "

Looks like a good design, but I'm thinking dipole subs might match better with dipole mains, having similar radiation patterns and all?

I've heard of quarter wavelength resonances, and can work out what this translated to (about a foot), but I'm not sure if it's half, quarter, eighth etc that I should be concerned about.

cheers

bvan said:
I've heard of quarter wavelength resonances, and can work out what this translated to (about a foot), but I'm not sure if it's half, quarter, eighth etc that I should be concerned about.

It is the quarter wavelenght (distance from driver plane to either opening). The effective wavelenght will be a bit longer than the geometric dimension. If you shelve below that with 24 dB you don´t need to bother about the higher resonances at all.

"Looks like a good design, but I'm thinking dipole subs might match better with dipole mains, having similar radiation patterns and all?"

By all means, try the dipole. The basic idea may be adapted to sealed, vented, and dipole. Mine have always been 6th oder vented.

The primary limit on HF response is the depth of the plenum, and the cavity formed by same. The back corners of the cavity can be filled with 703 fiberglass if you like. I think if you keep dimensions to a minimum and cross at 24dB that you will have no problems. I have successfully crossed 18s over at 250hz in a couple of my designs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.