Best small musical sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a small sub to be used with two RS150/Neo3PDR sealed-box speakers in a sub-sat arrangement. I really only need from 30hz to 80hz or so. I've never heard a ported sub I really liked, so I was hoping to try something different.

Options include:

-Peerless XLS 10 with passive radiator. They don't play deep enough in a sealed box, but with the matching PR, you can use a very small box anyway. You can get one of these lightly used for $100 or so, but the PR seems to be found only at Madisound for $85. Ouch!

-JL 8W7 (it measures quite well, apparently) in a small sealed box. Many drivers are ill-suited to small boxes - apparently, the compression and decompression of the air can cause odd-order harmonics - bu the 8W7 is made for it. It's a great sub....but look at the pricetag!

-Unknown subwoofer in a tall transmission line. While this sub would be big, if built tall enough it would take up very little floor space. Not going to be pleasant to look at, though.

Any other ideas?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Spasticteapot said:
-Peerless XLS 10 with passive radiator. They don't play deep enough in a sealed box, but with the matching PR, you can use a very small box anyway. You can get one of these lightly used for $100 or so, but the PR seems to be found only at Madisound for $85. Ouch!

A PR is just a substitute for a port (with an additional resonance)

-JL 8W7 (it measures quite well, apparently) in a small sealed box. Many drivers are ill-suited to small boxes - apparently, the compression and decompression of the air can cause odd-order harmonics - bu the 8W7 is made for it. It's a great sub....but look at the pricetag!

CSS SDX7 works well in a small sealed box.

dave

Bjohannesen said:

Interesting, but I don't really have a place to put the flat part of the sub. I'd also like to use a higher-end driver, and I can't find a place that will let me download mathcad.

Dr.EM said:
A Ripole might be worth consideration.

I would assume that the lack of direct radiation would be bad for high-frequency response?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.