trick behind the boom box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys.

i want to know all from you expert guys what is the trick behind

those boom box produced by sony.philips.panasonic etc. i mean to

those midrange got so high fs and instead of that they produce so

much bass.i measured 3-4 woofers salvaged from those boombox.

whose resonant frequecy ranging from 60hz to 81 hz. yet they

produce such kind of bass.i want to know because i want to make

one from one of those drivers.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ag7n1e.jpg

regards

Whut these guyz sed.

This is a sort of 'conspiracy' between the makers of boomboxes and the producers of the music.  A little plastic box like that can realistically produce freeks down to about 80Hz, with a little internal equalization.  The pop music producers thus put their lowest frequency content about there (this fortunately is right in the band of kick drum), and roll off below, to minimize blowout and abuse of the system.

Your only misconception is in calling this content 'bass'.  I can see from your question that you are a real guy, looking for real sound, and so you will eventually experience actual bass.  It's this whole other thing from 80Hz thump, a bottom that will show you the size of the world.

I spent decades dissing actual deep bass as the least necessary of the frequency components of true fidelity. In the greater picture, maybe so, marginally, but I have now heard what real bass can do, and once you hear it you will no longer call what boomboxes produce as 'bass'.

Aloha,

Poinz

These "boomboxes" aren't actual subwoofers at all - they are stupid-small boxes with a big, long throw driver in, usually found in cars.

However, I think you mean the ones that come with the surround packages (they use a 6" driver) which go stupid low, but there is so much equilisation involved that it is a good idea to leave well alone, as a subwoofer that sounds good with no equilisation will sound awful with the equilisation that happens in a home-cinema set-up

A circuit was published in Everyday Electronics circa 25 years ago, IIRC (which is doubtful at my age...).

They used a trick to fool the brain into thinking the bass note was there when it wasn't. They added second and third harmonic distortion, then removed the fundamental. The brain heard the second and third and filled the fundamental back in for you.

So: 50Hz becomes 100Hz and 150Hz, the only time you would hear those frequencies together would be when the original 50Hz was present.

Now I have no idea whether they use this technique these days or not...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.