Electrical feed for using multiple amps in sub circuit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2008, 10:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Electrical feed for using multiple amps in sub circuit

OK i'm quickly entering water out of my depth so asking for more help.
Also i'm not sure if this is a speaker query or if it belongs in solid state, possibly both.
In order to make up for the inefficiency of the cheaper sub drivers ( that is the ones I can afford ) I was thinking of using multiple subs run in parallel. WAF on this project is OK so far with 3 * 15 inch subs, and we have just discussed using the pair of Ri-poles as the side legs of the coffee table ( good-one CC) so there is now the possiblity of 2 more subs 15 inch or more better
2 * 18inch.

Can I just use a splitter on the output side of the crossovers mono output and run the independent lines to the subwoofer amplifiers??
I have the 2 stereo amps and the mono block and I can tailor the power of the amps to the X-max of the individual drivers.

Amplifiers are voltage device aren't they? So does it matter if I divide a voltage signal into 5, one for each amplifier channel??
Output will be from a Behringer XO the CX3400
Old 26th December 2008, 08:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes.. Running independent lines to the subwoofers should be fine. Sorry but I don't get your last 2 questions. I think it's the wording.
Old 26th December 2008, 08:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Most amplifiers have a high input impedance.
You should have no problem driving multiple amplifiers from a single source.
Old 26th December 2008, 12:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanx, just wanted to be sure before I hooked up multiple amplifiers to one source.

What I meant about tailoring amps to drivers, I can use a smaller amplifier on the H-frame subs tha have no box load and can be driven to X-max eaasily and use the bigger amp on the pair of drivers in boxes that can handle more power.

So I just use the mono-sum output of the Behringer XO divide it by the number of amplifiers I need and use that number of RCA cables?? Which is what I would have done, I just asked because when i divided the output of my 5.1 Sub out receiver by 4 it worked fine but when I added an extra splitter to send a signal to 6 plate amps I seemed to get less output.
Specifications for input sensitivity on power amps usually give a voltage rating for maximum output but never seem to mention a current rating, I did not know if there was a simultaneous current rating below which the amplifier would not work
Old 1st January 2009, 09:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Before I solder up the adaptor does any-one in Australia know of a supplier of insulated end caps for RCA connectors??

I'd like to be assured that inadvertant shorting did not take place and a quick "Google" found no reference to what I'm looking for.
Regards
Ted

Hide this!Advertise here!