recommended wattage for 30m2 room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, i will start building a new HT, but dont know where to start, right now im using an 10" 150W sub and FR125 DIY Speakers. I will upgrade my full system and want to start with the Subwofer, how many Watts you recommend me for my room?
Any brands/recommendations?

Mainly i will use it for Movies, and Some music, for music i dont heard Tecno or POP, just listen Jazz, classical and some Reggae :)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
OK one possible solution is to start with the sub you have.
Is it loud enough most of the time?? Just buy another sub and place it in the room at random * "a la Geddes" and listen, then keep adding cheap subs until it's loud enough and smooth enough.
Rademakers is correct, it isn't watts what cound, it's total sound quality and SPL.
those more expert than I am will need:-
details of the room construction; its shape,area and ceiling height,
floor type ( carpet or tiles/boards ) and whether your budget will include any room treatments ;like bass traps and diffusors.

It is a complicated subject and I'm just starting to learn it.

Have fun and don't get discouraged
Ted

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
OK So this sub has a peaky responce? Do you use it only for home theatre ?? or do you want it to do duty for music as well?/
What is you current speaker system?
Do you plan on replacing the whole system or making it completely yourself? because Subwoofers should only be used to complement your system below ~ 80Hz, some people would say even lower just for the bottom octave from 50 down to 25Hz or so.
If its jazz you listen to perhaps you actually need speakers with a decent bass driver.
Personally I would not calssify the classical music I like ti become immersed in as "soft"

Hi!
I have the same space room about 30 m^2 and I have one 12" pioneer sub made for car audio, and another one 15"B&C PA sub, the first one is drived with 200 watt mono amp. and other is drived with other amp about 250W bridged amp, two mono channels each about 80W.Both sub's I cutted at 75 Hz with two way active filter.
And what I found during a long time that you always want to turn up the volume, sometimes it is not enough...of course this depends of your filings at given moment.

pogled10.jpg

dsc09710.jpg

That could be roughly the size of my room. I've got two subs currently hooked up, each fed from one channel of an NAD 2200, so that's about 200W RMS (but with several dB of headroom...). One sub is a 12" NHT 1259, the other a DIY ServoDrive ContraBass which has two 15" driven cones, and two 18" passive radiators. This is enough bass to feel it in my trouser legs.

If you build two subs, they can be placed in different locations which should result in more even bass throughout the room. This also allows you to use both channels of a stereo power amp to run them.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I used to feel like that until I tried multiple subs.
I now prefer the sound of two or more subwoofers. at one point I had 5 for my home theatre, after a re-arrangement of the viewing space I now use 4, when we move house in a month or two; it may be that again I need 5 or more.
I just find the sound of stereo or multiple soc drivers more natural.

Of course you need to make this decision for yourself.

In regard to subs I am only talking about frequencies below 80Hz, and preferably below 40Hz, I use them both for home theatre and music and miss them when they are switched out.
My home theatre subs are some VERY cheap 10 inch drivers with plate amps, close-out specials about $90 each, more for special effects, my music subs I am still rebuilding but currently 2 * H-frame 15 inch plus one 15inch sealed box, the effect of adding each extra sub is sublte but noticable by their absence.
Have you tried any of the tweaks that have been suggested??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.