Multiple Small Subs - Geddes Approach

Sometimes braces work well, sometimes reinforcing the joints with a damped glue like Liquid Nails for Subfloors. It's hard to describe all the common means of noise control because it is a huge subject, but there is always something that can be done.

I don't remember the specifics of the sofa, but I do remember that before and after was quite significant.
I assume test is easy. If you stand up and vibrations are gone then sofa is not an issue? :D

I won the Henry Ford Technological Achievement Award many years ago for my work in understanding how people perceive noise in cars. A large amount of that work was on the huge impact that structure borne noise has. When you drive a car with engine imbalance (as virtually all engines are not naturally balanced, some much worse than others) you perceive this and almost without exception people sense that they are hearing this. But that is not the case - you feel it (and hear it) but you think that you are only hearing it - humans really can't tell the difference because they both excite the cochlear hair cells, just in different ways. If there is a structure that is vibrating just place your hand on it and it will sound louder - but it's not actually - you just gave it another path into your senses.
That is very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing.
This reminded me that drywall construction might vibrate as well. And these are very common in our homes.

One more thing. Once I measured all the possible locations for my stereo speakers. The optimal position (according to the FR) was 35 cm from the front wall. That leaves no room for a sub in a corner. If I move the speakers further from the wall, some dips/peaks would get bigger. My question is if this would be solvable with more subs or is it better to start with optimal stereo position and place the subs elsewhere?

Last edited:
I don't see it that way. Outside you have to push up the bass level quite a bit to get it to sound full. That's because of the lack of reverberation, which the room adds. But small rooms have modal issues which you have to deal with.

I'm after the highest quality sound I can obtain. The fact I need more sub power outdoors is pretty immaterial to me.

Ime/imo it isn't even debatable how much better bass sounds outdoors at proper clean SPL levels.
In fact the entire spectrum cleans up as the low end gains clarity from lack of reflections/modes/reverb, ..and when collocated subs are phase aligned with mains.

It's really so much better than indoors I can hardly bare to optimize indoors, and tend to wait for the occasions to set up outdoors to critically listen and optimize.

All that said, sure...indoors is an entirely different animal.
Rightly or wrongly, it seems to me there are two logical end approaches to subs indoors.
Either maximize modes or minimize them.
I realize minimizing modes takes considerable room planning and acoustic treatment expense. Perhaps seldom practicle/achievable.
(I had the luxury once of adding a 11,000cu ft room to my home that I designed ...LWH to the inch for optimized modal dispersion. Added absorption, diffusion, got a nice even RT60. Played with large bass traps.
Wonderful sounding room...corner stacked labhorns made the smoothest bass after trying lots of things....at least until the damn roof started resonating at high drive levels Lol....best laid plans of mice and men, eh? ;)

Sure, I get the multiple sub approach as pragmatic. I just can't see it as best for trying to obtain ultimate sound quality.

Single vs multiple subs remind me of the contrast between line arrays and point sources (such as Danley) in the PA world.
The line arrays' multiple drivers' designed destructive interference do provide a fairly even coverage pattern, very pleasing,...but all you have to do is hear them side by side against a point source and you realize there's no contest.
It seems to me multiple subs, especially if adding to the multiplicity by not high-passing mains, works in similar fashion....designed destructive interference.

Anyway, just how I see it / hear it...best, mark

(I had the luxury once of adding a 11,000cu ft room to my home that I designed ...LWH to the inch for optimized modal dispersion. Added absorption, diffusion, got a nice even RT60. Played with large bass traps.
Wonderful sounding room...corner stacked labhorns made the smoothest bass after trying lots of things....at least until the damn roof started resonating at high drive levels Lol....best laid plans of mice and men, eh? ;)
Did you consider Double Bass Array?

Ime/imo it isn't even debatable how much better bass sounds outdoors at proper clean SPL levels.
In fact the entire spectrum cleans up as the low end gains clarity from lack of reflections/modes/reverb, ..and when collocated subs are phase aligned with mains.

It's really so much better than indoors I can hardly bare to optimize indoors, and tend to wait for the occasions to set up outdoors to critically listen and optimize.
We will have to disagree on whether baas outdoors or in a large venue is better. I prefer the large venue, you the outdoors, that's a person preference (and it certainly is debatable.) At any rate this issue isn't pertinent since we are talking about bass in a small room, not outdoors or in a large venue.
All that said, sure...indoors is an entirely different animal.
Rightly or wrongly, it seems to me there are two logical end approaches to subs indoors.
Either maximize modes or minimize them.
I realize minimizing modes takes considerable room planning and acoustic treatment expense. Perhaps seldom practicle/achievable.
The problem is that you can't do either for a given room. The number of modes in a given bandwidth is fixed by the room's volume and nothing that you do can add or subtract any modes without changing the volume. You can learn to control these modes however making them your friend. That's the best that you can do.
Sure, I get the multiple sub approach as pragmatic. I just can't see it as best for trying to obtain ultimate sound quality.
I'll stand by my claim that in a small room multiple subs or DBA (TBD) are the only ways to achieve the best LF sound quality. Which of these two works best, or if they actually result in significant differences subjectively is still an open question.
Single vs multiple subs remind me of the contrast between line arrays and point sources (such as Danley) in the PA world.
The line arrays' multiple drivers' designed destructive interference do provide a fairly even coverage pattern, very pleasing,...but all you have to do is hear them side by side against a point source and you realize there's no contest.
It seems to me multiple subs, especially if adding to the multiplicity by not high-passing mains, works in similar fashion....designed destructive interference.

Anyway, just how I see it / hear it...best, mark

Your example is not pertinent since one is a HF situation and we are talking about a LF one. LF interference in a small room is inevitable, so you simply deal with it. The point source versus line array example simply has nothing to do with a multiple sub implementation.

Todd Welti (of Harman) comments here:

Welti does not mention that in my letter to the AES editor about his first paper, I indicated that I had already been doing multiple subs for some years. His technique and mine are virtually identical except that I use off-line calculations and measurements to set the parameters and JBL does this all in one box. The price differential between our two methods is significant!!

We will have to disagree on whether baas outdoors or in a large venue is better. I prefer the large venue, you the outdoors, that's a person preference (and it certainly is debatable.) At any rate this issue isn't pertinent since we are talking about bass in a small room, not outdoors or in a large venue.The problem is that you can't do either for a given room. The number of modes in a given bandwidth is fixed by the room's volume and nothing that you do can add or subtract any modes without changing the volume. You can learn to control these modes however making them your friend. That's the best that you can do.I'll stand by my claim that in a small room multiple subs or DBA (TBD) are the only ways to achieve the best LF sound quality. Which of these two works best, or if they actually result in significant differences subjectively is still an open question.

Your example is not pertinent since one is a HF situation and we are talking about a LF one. LF interference in a small room is inevitable, so you simply deal with it. The point source versus line array example simply has nothing to do with a multiple sub implementation.

Sure, plenty of room for each of us have our favorite bass space :)

I really don't see much difference between HF and LF....just waves of different lengths.
And I guess I don't see much difference between multiple HF drivers and multiple LF drivers....they all seem to add up to multiple arrivals.
As you say, inevitable LF interference in a room just compounds the multiple LF arrivals even further.
So I'm still led to think a line array and multiple subs share the principal of designed interference.

Perhaps a little graphic for small room acoustics can help describe that below Schroeder (i.e. the rooms transition frequency), the room is in control and above that the loudspeaker is in control:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Harman transition frequency.JPG
    Harman transition frequency.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 478
Thanks Mitch, this is an important point.

Notice how a "transition" is shown, meaning that both sets of characteristics hold to varying degrees. I would say that the example is a fairly small room, so the Fs is very high, about 300 Hz. in this example. The room does not have much LF damping (a typical problem.)

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The line arrays' multiple drivers' designed destructive interference do provide a fairly even coverage pattern, very pleasing,...but
Do you feel the same when there is nearfield summing of the elements, not some higher frequency effectively widely spaced line approximation that throws artefacts. (sorry, I seem to be short on words today)

Last edited:
Thanks Mitch, this is an important point.

Notice how a "transition" is shown, meaning that both sets of characteristics hold to varying degrees. I would say that the example is a fairly small room, so the Fs is very high, about 300 Hz. in this example. The room does not have much LF damping (a typical problem.)

Yeah Mitch, second the thanks.

I'm familiar with Schroeder frequency. I got it to about 60 Hz in the room described earlier, the combination of room size and quite a bit of damping.
Had a pretty smooth RT60 across the spectrum of about 0.2-0.3 sec.

And yep, I totally get there is a transition zone, if for no other reason than RT60 variation by frequency. And then there's the shape of the room, and how does it connect or open up to adjoining spaces...lot's going on huh?

But you know, and I really don't mean to be belaboring or portraying any negativity to multiple subs..pls forgive if I come off that way....
It's just I've been trained to see strong 1/2 wave cancellations between any two subs, and nearly as strong 1/4 wave cancellations between each individual sub and its set of virtual subs created by its nearby wall/floor/ceiling reflections.
So when I picture adding all those cancellations on top of the room's modes...well, I just can't help but see a big mud bath...of what I've been likening to destructive interference...and I try to minimize the variables..

Anyway, I'm gonna shut up about all this...and maybe next time I'm setting up a uniform boxlike room, give multiple subs another try, via modeling, measurement, dsp adjustment, and of course listening :)

Do you feel the same when there is nearfield summing of the elements, not some higher frequency effectively widely spaced line approximation that throws artefacts. (sorry, I seem to be short on words today)

Hi Allen, yeah, I'm not sure either ..what you're asking :):eek:

Re 'widely spaced line approximation that throws artefacts'....
My understanding is when line elements exceed somewhere about 1/4WL spacing they quit acting like a line, and start acting like multiple radiators with overlapping coverage zones.
So we hear multiple drivers make that phasing, whishing sound, when wind blows or moving our heads around.

Of course the above problem is greater when listening distance is further and more drivers are covering the same zone.
I'd think ideally we would want to be close enough to the line to hear only one HF/VHF unit (again assuming there is no true line coupling due to excessive driver spacing).
If we could be in a nearfield position where we have steady in phase summation of only a couple of units, I'd think that would OK (if we stayed still.)
Do you?
Does that make sense?

I think you are worrying about what's going on in the room as a whole? You only hear what is happening at your ears.

Lord I almost never worry about anything :D

Maybe cause I try to simplify things to where I have an honest chance to really understand, and thereby effectively ignore worrying complexity Lol

Oh, imho we absolutely hear more than what's happening at out ears...
Our bodies definitely add to hearing, picking up vibrations,
that our brain works into its magicry of what we call hearing..

Plus, the brain is such a perception modifier...have you listened to your speakers playing, through headphones and a measurement mic ?
The constast blows me away every time I do....