Genius sub designer sought! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2008, 04:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Genius sub designer sought!

Hello all, this seems like a great forum.

I have been into hi-fi for a long time. Having gone through many systems, in both my car and home. I have always been into accurate full range systems. I am now looking into DIY for my home hifi for the first time.

I am very good at wood working but am a total newbie when it come to designing solutions. I intend to read up on the subject over time, but for now I'd appreciate some help with the design. Before I have simply made enclosures using the recommended specs supplied with drivers. I have made dozens of enclosures, using both MDF and birch ply with internal matrix bracing. Typically I have gone sealed, but the most natural enclosure I ever owned was my pair of PMC speakers (transmission lines).

So anyway, I wish to construct an enclosure over the winter weeks ahead. These are my parameters...

1. Location - bedroom system, measures 14' x 12', sub to sit in one cormer.
2. Music - various electronica soundscapes with ultra low notes, to hendrix, paramore, nirvana. Will be used for films too.
3. Volume - Low levels in the evening
4. I want ultra low extension (My PMC had some info at 10Hz with a test disc)
5. Notes must be crisp - I hate blurred bass notes. So a 'one note' ported sound might not be my cup of tea. Musicality is key.
6. Ideally it would be around 4cuft, butup to 6cuft might be ok too.
7. I have a cone fetish! I'd love a 15" or 18" if possible, but am open to suggestions. For example, some of you might say a small 12 in a TL enclosure might be better than an 18 sealed?
8. Finally I need to get this gear in the UK, or at least posted to the UK.

Ok chaps, fire away with your wonderful ideas... Thankyou in advance!

Paul
Old 7th December 2008, 09:04 PM   #2
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Paul, ( I'm responding with a question, and not as someone even close to the title of this thread)..

Have you considered an IB set up, or could the room work in that way? If there is a closet or area underneath or behind the room?, then you could really get some low notes and nice bass with an IB system perhaps.. Here's a link to a great site on the subject http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/

Dave
Old 7th December 2008, 09:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I had considered that approach. In fact I have a loft space above me that is available. However that will open a can of worms as that is a conversion project all in itself for a later date (I need to lay flooring and tidy it all up for a start).

So for now I had intended to make a stand alone cabinet. I am open to the ideas of sealed, ported, or even my favorite = Transmission Line. However I suspect a TL for a 15 will be way too large! So I am guessing my size requirements may push me closer to a 10" TL or 15" sealed. But I am purely guessing here... so ideas welcome!
Old 8th December 2008, 03:32 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, I'm no genius, but it doesn't take one to know that at low SPLs in a relatively small room it doesn't require much of a sub system, so even an acoustically too small TL for a given driver's specs can be EQ'd flat to a very low corner frequency, especially if corner loaded, so what XO point/slope do you plan to use and what driver brands are local and/or in your budget?

GM
Old 8th December 2008, 03:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

One of the 12" Rythmik audio kits would suit your needs perfectly
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1200ci.html

Or go for the 15" if you want to make your whole house wobble

I've been using a DS12 in my 11'x13' room for a couple of years now and am very pleased with it!

I have mine away from corners, with the HP filter set to 28Hz and maximum damping, it's still +10db at 10Hz without EQ
Old 8th December 2008, 07:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot.

Those RA subs look rather impressive from a technical standpoint. How do these compare to Velodyne in terms of accuracy and depth?

Anything else out there worth considering?

I had heard those 15" Aura drivers are rather special too...
Old 8th December 2008, 07:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've not had any experience with the VD subs, but I can't see there being a massive difference in sound quality.

I've found with subs if they are properly engineered none really sound better or worse than others, thats all down to setup and how they integrate with the room and rest of the system. The main differences are output and extension, both of which improve with size.

The main things the RA kits have is they are simple and very good value for money
Old 8th December 2008, 08:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Indeed. The shop prices for velo are rather high. This is one aspect I prefer with DIY. For the price of a 10" velo I could likely end up with a top level 15 or 18 DIY.

I guess some people think I amy be going a little OTT for a bedroom set up. However I want to have the option of perhaps moving it to a larger room at some point. Also I seem to notice a lot of people keep upscaling their subs. So in a sense I may as well 'go large' from the outset.

What other amp packages are out there which offer a lot of signal tweeking, or even servo feedback?
Old 9th December 2008, 11:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Aura

Can anyone tell me what's the smallest ideal cabinet design for these two Aura models please - the 15 and 18. Specs are on this site... thankyou...

NS18-992-4A

NS15-992-4A

http://www.aurasound.com/
Old 9th December 2008, 03:02 PM   #10
badman is online now badman  United States
diyAudio Member

You can look at the manufacturer's suggested alignment, 4.5 ft^3 sealed and stuffed for the 18".

Hide this!Advertise here!